1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Re: most effective methods of protection

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by bernadette, Sep 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bernadette

bernadette Thread Starter

hallo!
    i am trying to deworm my computer, and have read the above threads about hijack... so perhaps i ought just to download that. but first a couple of questions: will it be extraordinarily detrimental to my computer if i delete the "Temp" and "Temporary Internet Files" folders in Local Settings? and, has anyone used IParmor? if so, how effective is it? alSo, i'm curious if it's possible to guard my IP address, i've been getting these damn rogue pop-ups even if i'm not browsing.

Thanks!!

2. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

To answer part of your question, not only is it safe to "Temp" and "Temporary Internet Files" folders in Local Settings (and in windows\temp and \windows\Temporary Internet Files), it is highly advisable to do so at least once a month. (I tend to do it once or twice a week)

3. bernadette

thanks for your help... i deleted everything (with much apprehension!) but a few files said they were being used by other programs even after i shut everything down. any comments?

4. Topkat

Topkat

First I'd just like to answer your question about messages while your not even browsing. It could be Windows built in Messenger service (not to be confused with MSN messenger).

Check this link to see if this is the problem you're talking about, and for instructions on how to disable Messenger if it is.

http://www.itc.virginia.edu/desktop/docs/messagepopup/

A HijackThis log will be helpful to spot the culprit if this sin't the problem.
    Hope this helps

:D

5. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

RE: Temp files that are in use.
    Yes, there are always going to be a few temp files that are currently in use and can't be deleted. Skip those and delete the rest.

The other way is to delete from DOS which gets everything!!

How to Delete in DOS and be done with it. Quick. Efficient

Start > Shutdown and Restart in MS_DOS mode

Once in DOS type in the following commands exactly:

SMARTDRV.EXE

CD \WINDOWS
    DELTREE /Y COOKIES
    DELTREE /Y HISTORY
    DELTREE /Y RECENT
    DELTREE /Y TEMP
    DELTREE /Y TEMPOR~1

ctrl-alt-delete to reboot to windows

Fear not, all of these folders will be recreated when you reboot windows.

Now that you have gotten rid of that "land fill" called Temporary Internet Files, you may want to reboot into Safe Mode and run defrag.

If you have never deleted Temporary Internet Files in the past, my guess is that you can recover 50 - 500 meg of HD space. Maybe more if you have never done it since day one.

The most space I have ever recovered from someone's PC was a whopping 2.3 gig.

Oh, by the way, boot time is slightly improved and you will notice a marked reduction in time to run a virus scan and defrag.

Next power down and then as you start up hold down the crtl key (depending on manufacture some use the F8 key. If ctrl doesn't work, try again using the F8 key) Which ever way is successful you should now have a black screen with a menu of 5 or 6 choices. Select Safe Mode.

Once in Safe Mode, click on Start > Run and type in scandisk (Scandisk can also be run from DOS)
    This will take some time depending on the size of your HD and the speed of your PC in general.

Also while in Safe Mode, click on Start > Run and type in defrag. Defragging in Safe Mode is faster because defrag isn't interrupted by the windows background disk and "house keeping" calls.

Good Luck. Let us know how it works for you.

6. bernadette

thanks! the speed has picked up. would it still be beneficial to run hijack this?

7. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

Running HJT can never hurt. :)

8. normmork

normmork

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167946

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice