1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Re: scandisk/f win386.swp (low resources)

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by sisBbad, Dec 7, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sisBbad

sisBbad Thread Starter

Hi I have been having problems with Low Resources and Kernel32.dll errors. While going over the threads to help find answers. I ran across "scandisk/f win386.swp) in order to check for fragmentation before a defrag. Ok, so I went to try this and received and error that it could not locate SCANDISK. So I went to search and was able to locate SCANDISK and WIN386.SWP. I'm using WindowsME, should I be entering in something else instead of that? If so what? If not, then and suggestions as to why I'm getting that message?
    Thank you in advance for any and all responses and suggestions.

Sis

2. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Scandisk lives in \windows\command so if it was not found, I presume via the run, your path must not include this directory.

Try
    c:\windows\command\scandisk /f c:\windows\win386.swp

assuming your swapfile is windows managed.

Now, if that is true, what you are going to find is that the swapfile is fragmented, which is really no big deal. It also has no affect on Resources and should not be causing Kernel32 errors.

See this links to help resolve your Resources issue, and start another thread that indicates exactly what your error messages are.

See this link for a good description of ram vs resources.

http://www.aumha.org/a/resource.htm

And these links to help you reduce your startups.

http://www2.whidbey.net/djdenham/Index.htm

http://www.pcforrest.freeserve.co.uk/resources.htm

http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.htm

3. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

In addition, spyware can cause kernel32 errors. Click on the spyware link next to my name and download Adaware 5.62 Final. Once installed, run it and clean what it finds. If you need help just let us know.

Welcome to TSG. :)

4. sisBbad

sisBbad Thread Starter

Thank you for the responces. Sorry for such a delay in getting back. But I think I had something wrong with my browser. I was unable to access any web sites. But reinstalled windows and aol and now it working again. I will check out the links both of you recommended and try them and let you know how everything is after that.

Thank you
    sis

5. sisBbad

sisBbad Thread Starter

Well I'm back! I have finally found some time to try and defrag my swap file. But as you can see from my previous posts, I tried and was not able to defrag. I just now went and tried
    "c:\windows\command\scandisk /f c:\windows\win386.swp " as WhitPhil recommended. But I received the following message/error: Scandisk cannot examine drive F.

Prior to that I went to Search>Find to see if I could find out if it is Windows managed like you stated. I found it listed FOLDER: c:\Windows SIZE: 24,664k TYPE: Swap File. I also downloaded Ad-aware installed it and found 26 components. I saved/backed them up and then deleted them.

So after all that, basically I'm still trying to find a way to defrag my swap file.

However, the plot thickens. As I was sending this post, I went back to Search>Find so that I would list the the information under the correct titles. (i.e. File, Size...) But to my surprise the size of my swap file is now at 94,208k. Is this normal to jump up that much in such a small amount of time and all I did was run Ad-aware and log on/off to AOL. But no other programs were ran. I'm not real familiar with the Swap file, so it made me a little concerned with the big difference in size.

So, that is all for now, I HOPE to hear back from someone, anyone that can help me to defrag my swap file and maybe explain why such a big jump in my swap file.

As always, thanks in advance for any and all help and suggestions.

Thank you!
    Sis: :confused:

6. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

Open the System Properties dialog box.
    Right click on My Computer and select Properties.
    Click on the Performance tab.
    Click on the Virtual Memory button.
    Check Let me specify my own virtual memory settings.
    Check Disable virtual memory.
    Note: This will cause the system not to use a swap file.
    Click on the OK button.
    Answer Yes to the warning.
    Click on the Close button.
    Reboot when prompted.
    You system will reboot.
    Every now and then I have to reboot in safe mode.
    Check to see that there is no swap file. If one still remains (WIN386.SWP), you can safely delete it.
    Defrag your system as you usually do.
    Now reset the swap file to your previous setting and reboot.
    Right click on My Computer and select Properties.
    Click on the Performance tab.
    Click on the Virtual Memory button.
    Put the check back in "Let windows manage my virtual memory settings"
    You might have to restart the computer in safe mode to reset the swap file. I do once in a while, not always. Windows will recreate the swap file when you reboot.
    Note: Do not leave your system running without a swap file.

7. sisBbad

sisBbad Thread Starter

WOW! You just made my day!! I'm tired of putting this off, so now I can complete what I started a month ago. :)

Thank you so very much for the information, I appreciate it so very much. I am off to do what you stated and after everything goes problem free, I'll be back in business..... I'll let ya know if anything "strange" happens.... ;) But it sounds pretty simple.

Kudos to you!!!!!!
    Sis :)

8. sisBbad

sisBbad Thread Starter

Hee hee! I guess I spoke to soon. Ok I hope your still around. I went and clicked Let me specify, but it wouldn't let me click, "Disable virtual memory" it just stayed dark and I couldn't get it let me click it. Is there a secret to getting that to work? I'll stay online until I hear back from you. Well, within reason of course..:)

Thanks,

Sis

9. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

Not sure. It work ok with mine. I will have to take some time to research it.

10. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

11. sisBbad

sisBbad Thread Starter

Well, hello again. I'm back! I guess I shouldn't have counted my chickens before they hatched. I came up way short. I did everything to the list and my computer didn't want anything to do with it. So I'm in the process as I type formatting and restoring and installing. I figure I've been there and done this before and spent way too much time. So I decided I'll just start all over from scratch. Thank you very much for you help. I'm still going to try and find out what really happened and why it did what it did just now. I am now on a mission to get to the bottom of this, so that way hopefully I can stop it from ever happening again.

Have a good one!
    Sis:)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61078

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice