1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Re-setting BIOS?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Brian666, Sep 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Brian666

Brian666 Thread Starter

I'm not at all smart when it comes to technical matters. I'm totally confused when I read about "flashing" the BIOS, etc. Maybe someone can help..

Murphy heard me when I said I'd restored my old no-name IBM clone. As soon as he did, it went bonkers when I tried to load applications.

So, I pulled out an old IBM Aptiva Model 2144 A14 and tried to install a 30G Maxtor (I need a dependable machine to run Windows 98SE).

When I boot from a Win98 floppy startup disc and go into Setup, the 30G hard drive is there and I'm able to run FDISK. The problem is that it only "sees" 512 Mb.

The machine had a 1.2G hard drive before I destroyed it by inserting a "bad" Ethernet card so I know the machine is capable of running drives with a higher capacity than 512 Mb.

I've tried re-setting the BIOS to factory defaults, but that doesn't do anything.

What I see when I go into Setup is BIOS version BG2US0J, BIOS Date 03/06/96.

Under the first hard drive (the only one installed), I see Size 4160 MB; Local Bus IDE Mode - Compatible; Read Prefetch - Disabled; Disc Bios Translation - Disabled; Parameter Table Type - Enhanced.

If I try changing any of those settings, the drive isn't "seen."

Now the question(s).

No doubt I need to "upgrade" the BIOS. If so, where do I get whatever is needed to do so, and how do I do it?

I believe the machine is OK, even if it's old, and I hate to throw it away if I can get it going again and install a large enough had drive to make it practical..

Thanks.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You are right that you need a BIOS update - a computer from 1996 will not be able to see a 30GB hard drive, or maybe any over 8GB.

IBM is where you would get a BIOS: http://www-1.ibm.com/support/dlsear...=0&cc=us&q=2144-A14&dc=&submit.x=0&submit.y=0

The link above is for all downloads for what I hope is your model - double check. There is a BIOS update from 1999 which is good as most 1999 BIOS' add support for drives up to and possibly over 32GB.

3. ramony

ramony It's My Birthday!

4. Brian666

Brian666 Thread Starter

I checked out the 2144 Bios updates on the IBM site, and yes, there are several there.

However, in checking further, I discovered that even with the Biios update, I can't expect more than 8.5G to be seen or used.

So I guess it's time for the boneyard for that computer as investing more money or time in it just wouldn't be worth it. It's too bad I ruined the small hard drives I had because they were working just fine before I decided to get "smart."

Thanks to all.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272821

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice