1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

RE: USB keyboard not working on startup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AsbitLyon, Jan 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AsbitLyon

AsbitLyon Thread Starter

Hello, I jsut bought a microsoft internet pro USB keyboard. it is one of the ones that has *only* a usb connector. I have another of these that has both the USB and PS/2 connectors, and do not ahve any problems with this one. however the new one that has inly the USB connector is fine during Bios and POST. I can hit DEL to get into setup, I can controlCMOS setup, and I can type in my BIOS password with no trouble. but between the time I get through BIOS, and the time Windows starts loading, the keyboard stop working. I've installed all the drivers. and if I unplug, and re-plug-in the keyboard, everything is fine. but I hate having to unplug, and replug my keyboard in everytime I have to reboot wi98seI have other USB devices, and they work just fine. I even used to have the same keyboard on this computer, only it has both the ps/2 and usb connectors, but that has been attached to my new computer which is running Linux (which btw, the old keyboard works perfectly, and I can map the extra keys anyway I wish :}} ). can anyone make any suggestions on how to get this keyboard to work right without having to plug and unplug it every time I boot? I'll be glad to answer any questions needed to help solve this problem

AsbitLyon

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi, and welcome. You'll notice I edited your post.....when you use the greater than and less than signs, it appears to put lines thru the rest of the words in the post......dunno why......but, anyway.....

In the bios setup, do you have USB for keyboard enabled?

3. AsbitLyon

AsbitLyon Thread Starter

yes, that was the first thing I checked. even though I knew it was on becasue I had been using a USB keyboard before.

4. ~Candy~

Does it plug into a hub? Or into the computer direct?

5. AsbitLyon

AsbitLyon Thread Starter

direct to the back of the computer. feel free to "inundate" me with questions.... I'll answer as many at a time as you pose :)

6. ~Candy~

Unfortunately, that was my last thought on the subject........other than to be clear on one issue.....you mention 2 keyboards and 2 computers....did you try this 'problem' keyboard on the other computer?

7. AsbitLyon

AsbitLyon Thread Starter

yes, the keyboard does not work on that computer either

8. ~Candy~

Then I would take it back :D :D

9. AsbitLyon

AsbitLyon Thread Starter

I wonder if this is a flaw with the keyboard type itself.... since solving it is as easy as unplugging it, and plugging it back in

10. ~Candy~

My thoughts exactly.......

11. kbstoikop

kbstoikop

you could have two keyboards till you load the driver for the usb keyboard. Just try removing the non usb keyboard after bootup then detect the new keyboard using add remove hardware

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115665

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice