1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

re:virus and BIOS

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by gadfly, Sep 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gadfly

gadfly Thread Starter

I'm not sure what exactly viruses can do - so if this is a dumb question - sorry!

My friend has a computer which has been acting weird. It won't go past the boot screen.

I sent some troubleshooting tips (what few I know) - i.e. hit delete when the boot screen comes up - then set BIOS to default settings. This got him into his computer - he did a system restore and that was the end of it. He couldn't get back into his computer.

At that point he thought the harddrive was gone - but a few days later he found his 98 floppy bootable disk and tried it - it took him to the A:/ cursor - but he backed out as he didn't know what to do next.

I've sent him clean install instructions but he's never gotten the computer to read the floppy again.

I'm visiting this weekend - and am going to try to fix it if I can but I can't do much if all we get is a black screen.

I'm wondering if he's gotten a virus in his computer. Could it have embedded itself in the BIOS preventing anyone from getting past? - and if so how can would we get it out?

Any advice around troubleshooting this would be greatly appreciated. I've sent him every troubleshooting technique I know - but now I'm at a loss. I've never had a virus (knock on wood) so I don't know what they're capable of.

2. dai

dai

try resetting the bios by shorting the pins or removing the battery and then set the bios to default and see if you can get into safe mode

3. gadfly

gadfly Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip - when I get down there this weekend I'll try that. I think I have specific instructions on this technique in one of my troubleshooting books - but I've never tried it. If you could provide some helpful instructions that would be great. In any case - I'll browse through my books once more and see if they tell me anything that makes sense to me. I've done next to nothing in technical stuff. Installed a firewire card once - that's it!! This techniques sounds a bit scarry!.

Thanks again for replying - I really appreciate any advice and tips I can get.

Gadfly

4. dai

dai

look for the reset pins,pins 1 & 2 normal 2 & 3 clears the cmos.
    if you haven't the manual and carn't find the jumper,just remove the battery for 10 min,then you have to go into the bios and reconfigure it.
    while you are in there check the eide cables are secure.
    reseat the ram and video card.
    check all fans are operating when you switch on.
    listen for any beep codes when you switch on,1 beep is normal post.
    any others indicate what is wrong write them down i.e. 1 long 3short. then go to
    www.bioscentral.com
    and check what they are telling you

5. Corrosive

Corrosive

To answer your question about viruses, yes they can do this sort of thing, and worse. For instance, the Magistr worm is capable of flashing the BIOS after a set amount of time. The upside is that you do have a small grace period in which to get rid of it, but when the payload kicks in your PC becomes unusable without a new motherboard.

This PC I'm at now has had one virus before, which affected the Master Boot Record of the PC. It was a rather archaic virus that never really did anything to be honest, but it does go to show that Virii, even the older ones, can affect the most vital parts of the PC.

About the only safe place for your PC is the ROM, which is why viruses were never all that popular with older PC's that kept the OS there (apart from the fact they didn't have many means of spreading.) My computing teacher was telling me not long ago about viruses on the old BBC Microcomputers: to get rid of it, you switched it off, waited for a few seconds and switched it back on again. :)

6. gadfly

gadfly Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input you guys.

I'm now sitting with the computer in front of me. Nothing was happening - black screen - no sound no how - so we opened it up - and lo and behold the CPU fan wasn't working. How long this has been going on I can't say - but this is a new computer - purchased Aug. 8th.

It would seem that the guy who built it has a bit of trouble standing behind his products. The very day my friend got the computer the CDRom wouldn't work and had to be replaced.

Anyway - the Fan model is a Thermaltake MIT - any info on this?

This Fan failure must have fried the CPU - am I correct? In which case it is a warrenty issue is it not?

Could a power outage have taken out the FAN?

Any feedback around this fan thing would be greatly appreciated

Gadfly

7. dai

dai

it sounds like it was not fitted properly,let them fix it under warranty,and ask to see it working after they fix it.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167607

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice