1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

RE: Windows 2000 Professional custom-build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Senex, Dec 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Senex

Senex Thread Starter

How do I determine for certain which AMD (southbridge?) chipsets support this OS, so I can pick the right Gigabyte motherboard?

2. prunejuice

prunejuice

Do you have a compelling reason to use an unsupported operating system?

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I don't think any modern motherboard will have a full set drivers for Windows 2000 and you;d severally limit the functionality and performance of any system if you were to try and run Windows 2000 on it.

In any case you can look on the Gigabyte site for the the motherboard you are interested and see what operating systems are supported. You can also look at the AMD site for motherboard drivers...p.s. they don't list any Windows 2000 drivers for any modern product.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The last amd chipset that supported win2k was the 480 [not even a real amd; rather made by ati before the buy out] No modern chipset supports win2k.

5. HardwareHelper

HardwareHelper

Also you will have a hard time finding drivers which are downloadable (not dead links.)

6. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

All of which is true, but still begs the question "Why Windows 2000"? Even some oddball app might run OK in a virtual machine. And I would say the chances of that are better finding W2K hardware support. Why is it that on strange threads like this, the OP always seems to vanish when you need them? I think prunejuice nailed the essential issue.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I still like win2k and my backup box which is loaded with old hard drives runs win2k. It runs an old nforce4 epox mb with a fx-51.

Running win2k with a modern mb is a completely different story; it just is not going to work correctly.

8. Senex

Senex Thread Starter

Well, now I'm wondering if I really need "a full set" of drivers, as I don't require Win2000 to use all of todays 'bells-n-whistles', just need it to :
    1. Install properly on either SATA or IDE/PATA hard disc drive, along with the chosen attendant software (antivirus, firewall, and such).
    2. Access the internet.
    3. Print out Google Photos on inkjet and laser (already know which printers work on it).
    4. Use Microsoft Word (6.0 or whatever) for cut'n'paste.
    That's it! Most likely will be using stripped down version of Win2000 anyway (sans Telnet, Outlook Express, IRC, etc.).
    As for "limit the functionality and performance", I should mention that Win2000 is only one of three operating systems I'll be using. Other two are XP Pro & Linux Mint. Custom-build will have three dedicated HDDs (one for each OS). What Win2000 cannot handle, other two can.

Already been to both Gigabyte & Asus sites...saw no boards given as supporting Win2000. Already been to AMD site. Again, no mention of any drivers at all for Win2000. Info is well hidden. Everything seems to start at XP Pro and move forward. Someone is desperate to forget Win2000 ever existed!

9. prunejuice

prunejuice

Since you're comfortable using Linux Mint, what is it that Mint can't do for you that you would need W2K?

10. Senex

Senex Thread Starter

Will Google search AMI 480 chipset and see what board/cpu options it gives me. Been told on another forum to focus search on nVIDIA, VIA, & SiS chipsets. One example given was Asrock ALiveNF5SLI-1394...like the SLI feature, but keep hearing Asrock has bad rep, so holding out for Gigabyte or Asus brand. Any chance you know which nVIDIA, Sis, and VIA chipsets did (or still do) support Win2000?

Also, big thanks for actually answering the actual question I actually asked...seems to happen less and less on forums these days.

11. Senex

Senex Thread Starter

exactly what would cause you to think I require a compelling reason to use an unsupported operating system? But I'll play along,so how's this:

1. Don't like Vista...ain't gonna use it.
    2. Absolutely hate Win7...ain't gonna use it (and no, not even going to try Win8!).
    3. Right now, XP Pro is only OS I can use. Don't exactly love it, but its least objectionable OS of the three I tried, so will have it on my custom-build.
    4. That leaves Linux, Win 98, and Win2000. Since everyone tells me XP Pro is living on borrowed time, I will be teaching myself Linux Mint, but expect that to be slow going.
    5. What's left? Win2000 and Win98. Latter requires too archaic hardware. I ain't no 'latest&greatest&biggest&best' addict like most today, but don't want no Athlon CPU either! I'm hoping former will be less picky, and require less primitive hardware that XP Pro and Linux Mint can also use.

Here's the breakdown:
    1.Require XP Pro so custom-build can actually be used from the get-go.
    2.Require Linux Mint to eventually replace XP Pro when it goes into some kinda catastropic failure that everyone tells me it will, sooner or later. Do I believe it? Not really, but contingency planning never hurts.
    3.Windows 2000 Professional is enough like XP Pro that I think it will be easy to learn, overall like what I'm seeing in its instructional manuals, and I will have it as emergency backup, in case XP Pro does go 'belly-up' before I'm ready to make the leap to Linux.

12. fang508

fang508

lol who told you XP is Doomed to a forseeable Apocalypse?I have never heard such rubbish.Microsoft cant simply Deactivate everyone's copy of xp so save all your drivers and disc and your good for a lifetime lol.

I use XP on a Modern Computer.Also Sata/IDE drivers are part of the Southbridge so you will need a southbridge driver, Chances are Win2k Does not have the Essential basic Driver.Not trying to burst your bubble anything but i think Win2k is just too old.

And, Seems you are kinda picky on your OS choices, there isn't alot to choose from when u don't like anything that supports your hardware lol. Whats your specs anyways?

13. prunejuice

prunejuice

Windows 2000 is currently and forever more unsupported by security updates.

I'd hesitate to use it in a production machine that was exposed to the internet.

Honestly, the Linux Mint learning curve isn't too steep any more. Not as difficult as learning Linux was for me almost ten years ago anyway. Their community (and other distro communities, not to mention TSG) are always there to help in case you need it.

14. Senex

Senex Thread Starter

I taught myself XP Pro SP2 on library computers about couple years ago. Its the only OS I've ever used to date, so it will have to be included on my custom build. I do have choice with other operating systems though. I've chosen Windows 2000 Professional and Linux Mint. The former will irritate the 'latest&greatest&biggest&bestest' crowd, and latter will chaff the Billie Gates cheerleader squad.

I'll be using XP Pro til I can teach myself Win2000 and Linux Mint...for the former, I anticipate it to be reasonably easy...for latter, it may take a year or two! If one is to believe all the naysayers claiming any Linux OS to be nearly impossible to learn (I don't, but we will see).

15. Senex

Senex Thread Starter

but ain't that concerned with what is or ain't supported. Best as I can see, the (so-called) support was mostly a poor joke to begin with. This library been using XP Pro SP2 since I started using it years ago. End of support day came and went....nothing changed. During support, computers got infected about once a week, and took (IT dept) about a day to fix. After support, computers get infected about once a week, and takes IT about a day to fix. Same old, same old. For Windows, security has always been up to the user. Look into any Windows forum that has Win98 or Win2000 subforum, and you will learn alot about self-reliance. Them that depend on Microsoft for anything resembling security is doomed to disappointment. True for Win98, Win2000, XP Pro, and I now note lil Billie has begun his torrent of pseudofixes, sorta patches, etc., for Vista & Win7. No surprise to me. I'll predict the same fate for Win8 within 3 or 4 years of release! Like I said, same old, same old.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031969

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice