1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

re:Windows Xp Crashed? doc

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by thisone2, Apr 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thisone2

thisone2 Thread Starter

I'm suffering from windows not starting because of a Stop:C0000218 and was checking the forum and found your doc http://attachments.techguy.org/attachments/62075/windows-xp-crashed.doc on using recovery console to access system restore. I was wondering if I have to copy and replace all boot files since the error tells me it is config\software one that is corrupt??
    Fingers crossed that this will solve my dilemma and won't have to do a reinstall.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Before we start, is the computer OEM ie: Original equipment manufacturer.
    Is it a branded computer. For instance Dell, Toshiba etc.
    Pls post the method to repair is different for a branded computer with a recovery partition than for a generic installation with the XP CD>

3. thisone2

thisone2 Thread Starter

This is older Touch computer with a new hard drive installed a year ago which chkdsk says is ok. I'm using the XP spk1 disc that came with it. Computer has Xp spk3. I think the problem was caused by a bad reboot after Avg update. I've tried all the options that F8 gives me nothing works!I have even looked into the free xp boot disk download but don't have another computer with a floppy drive.

4. Macboatmaster

When you say TRIED all options on F8 pls ensure that this included Last Known Good.
    If so, insert the XP CD and if machine boots from that - proceed as below.
    If it does not and goes back to XP Stop message then Enter setup - normally F2 or DEL tapped after first post beep.
    In setup - boot device priority commission first boot device as CD drive and second as HDD.
    Leave setup with Save and Exit - normally F10.
    Reboot to XP CD, WATCH carefully the screens and enter Recovery Console.
    In Console FOLLOW THIS.
    BE CAREFUL and take it a step at at time.
    Hopefully the chkdsk /f command will repair your registry.
    http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ss/rconsole.htm
    SORRY ABOUT THAT just re-read your post - HAVE YOU ALREADY RUN CHKDSK

5. thisone2

thisone2 Thread Starter

Thanks I had already run Chkdsk but paramaters wouldn't work but after your reply I tried /F it didn't work but used /? and found that /P /R with a space between them which I had missed before. It is now doing its thing but seems to be stuck at 50 % but I will leave it running hopefully it will finish. Will keep you posted on the outcome.

6. Macboatmaster

/p = This option instructs chkdsk to perform an extensive check of the drive and correct any errors.
    /r = This option instructs chkdsk to locate bad sectors and recover any readable information from them.
    Note: When using this option, the /p option is implied so it's not necessary to use it in addition to /r.
    Do not worry it will not make any difference using them both.
    This chkdsk COULD take a long time. DO NOT SWITCH OFF or interrupt the process.

7. thisone2

thisone2 Thread Starter

Ok Chkdsk finished and did some repairs - I exited took XP disc out and it restarted right back to same old thing tried start normally - didn't work - it restarted itself back to the same - tried safe mode and it got to bluestartup screen with message it had recovered a file from log and there it stopped hung up on start up screen - drive light is not lit . Do I hit reset?? What next???

8. Macboatmaster

9. thisone2

thisone2 Thread Starter

I'm doing the manual typing in recovery console and the second file cannot be copied the Config\software which is the one the error message said was corrupt - do I continue anyways???

10. thisone2

thisone2 Thread Starter

well I managed to get through it but screwed up in the last section> I think I goofed in renaming the security file and could not copy it to the config/security file. Now I get a lsass.exe - system error and also cannot get into the recovery console to try again because now it wants a password where there wasn't one before - what can I do now??

11. Macboatmaster

Just try leaving the password blank and if that does not work, go back to the link you mentioned on the first post and download the password file from Petri.

12. thisone2

thisone2 Thread Starter

13. thisone2

thisone2 Thread Starter

Just checked the Petri site out again they are not all free- Stellar Phoenix is demo only cost $44 I'm going with Petter Nordahl it's free. Wish me luck!!

14. Macboatmaster

You did try leaving it blank?

15. thisone2

thisone2 Thread Starter

Yes I did try - It was blank before but then it wanted one. I ran the password program changed users and admin to blank Started windows same problem Lsass.exe errror then tried Recovery Console- it still wanted password so ran program again reset Recovery console Just got back to recovery console and now it doesn't even ask for a password. so I'm BACK IN!! Now do I go through the whole process from Microsoft again?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917726

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice