1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

'reactivate windows within 3 days' message..help!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Charliesmomu, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Charliesmomu

Charliesmomu Thread Starter

Hi. I'm posting on behalf of my elderly mother who turned her pc on to find this message yesterday and is worried!
    The message goes on to say something about needing to reactivate it to download some sort of protection updates?
    The computer is about 5 years old, stuffed chock full with my brothers music files and none too well cared for. Neither my Mum or brother can remember having to activate Windows (XP) originally but it has been fixed by local tecchies several times over the years so we don't know what install of XP is on there.

Any advice really appreciated!
    Julez

2. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    do you know what version of windows is in your computer? is it xp, 2000, etc? do you have the original windows cd that came with the computer or do you have the coa sticker on your computer? it sounds like either you never activated it which i cant imagine after 5 years they would be bugging you now to activate it or maybe your copy of windows isnt legal or did you recently make some changes to the computer like put in a new hard drive etc? if you cant find the cd or dont have the sticker on your computer heres a way to find your windows product key cause your gonna need it to activate windows . it call magic jelly bean. go to the website and download and install it. it will show up as keyfinder. open it up and it will give you a 25 letter and number key. write it down or print it out. you might also want to clean out all of the unnessary junk in the computer thats not being used anymore. let us know what happens.

3. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    ps if you have a program called system tools in that folder should be something called system information. open up the file and it should tell you what version of windows is in your computer plus it gives the owners name etc and a lot of other info about your computer.

4. cmw2010

cmw2010

Windows will check itself against the original system activation configuration from time to time to make sure it is still installed on the same PC. If you have made "substantial hardware changes" since the last time it checked itself, you will have to reactivate Windows. As long as you have a legal copy of Windows you should have no problem.

5. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

If you still have not activated Windows, you might want to copy everything that is important to another drive and contact Microsoft Activation for help.

What happens after the fourth day is that you won't be able to logon anymore in normal mode, and safe mode won't work either.:eek: :eek:

6. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    i heard that you get 30 days to activate your copy of windows. it usually nags the heck out of you to do so before that time. if not you will be locked out of windows which is not a good thing. if you cant activate through the internet than you have to call them and i dont believe they have a toll free number.

7. cmw2010

cmw2010

You initially have 30 days to activate Windows, if you make "substantial hardware change" then you get three days. If you cannot activate over the internet then Windows activation will give you an Activation code and a toll free number to call. You will read them the activation code, then they will activate Windows for you.

8. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    well again i learned something new. im glad to know there is a toll free number for this. thanks for the info.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542539

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice