1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Read-only disks

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by novelist, Feb 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. novelist

novelist Thread Starter

I'm still a struggling computer user, also a writer. I'd like to put my novels and plays on cd's. But I still can't figure out what to do. I can save the file on a cd, but when I bring it up to revise, I'm told, it's a read-only file and I can't work on it. It also says that I have to save and rename. Does this mean that I have to keep renaming the file each time I work on it? I cannot delete the file either. Because my files are so large, would the disk just keep filling up, because I can't delete? Presently I'm saving on floppy disks without any problem. Any help or insight would be appreciated. I have Windows XP. Thank you. Novelist.

2. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi,
    Why not use a USB stick/pen drive (if your pc has the sockets?) they can store vastly more than discs and you can work on the doc within the USB stick?
    You can password protect what's on the USB stick using one of these progs:
    http://www.portablefreeware.com/?c=10&sc=68

You can also take your writings wherever you go, plus if your computer should crash your vital docs are not lost but are safe on your USB stick.

I hope this helps?
    Richard

3. novelist

novelist Thread Starter

Thanks, but don't have stick drive. Have one on printer for photos. Takes me awhile to learn a new computer thing, but it sounds like a good option. I'm always catching up. But thanks for info. Novelist.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

All you have to do is when you copy them back, right click on the file and change the R/O attribute back to R/W. Files are always marked R/O on CD media, but once they're back on the hard disk, you can fix that.

Attached Files:

• ro.jpg
      ro.jpg
      File size:
      50.3 KB
      Views:
  5. PCG342

PCG342 Banned

Well, the disks have to be CD-RW, now CD-R. That's an important detail ya missed, JW. ;)

6. JohnWill

I didn't miss any details, you just suffer from poor reading comprehension.
    Note that I said to set the attribute after copying them back to the hard disk. :p

7. novelist

novelist Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input. I put my cd-rw disk in and icons came up for all files on it.
    I looked for "Attached Thumbnails" as rec. by John Will-- tried all I could but could never find R/O or R/W by clicking on file or right clicking lots of places. Somehow I did get an "attached thumbnails" but was nothing new on it, or by clicking on it.

You said when I "copy them back", right click on the file and change R/O attribute back to R/W. Files are always marked R/O on CD Media. (Where do I find CD media?? Also, right click on file-- where?)

Any more help appreciated. Somewhere there must be an answer. Novelist

8. JohnWill

You need to copy them back to the hard disk to be able to set them R/W. :)

9. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

1. You cannot edit files on a CD, as above. The CD's (the CD Media means the CD itself) are "read only by" nature, not Read/Write. A CD-RW means Re-Write where the CD-RW disk can be totally erased and used again, still not Read/Write.

2. When you copy the files back onto the computer hard drive, that is where you right click on the file (using Windows Explorer) and select Properties, on the General tab of the dialog box, remove any selection in "Read Only" by clicking in the square. Then Apply.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!