1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Read only file -EXCEL

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Lizhusain, Apr 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lizhusain

Lizhusain Thread Starter

Hi:

Is anyone know what is causing this please let me know.......If you know a solution better.

Sometimes when i send files as attachment, they go as read only. However, I can read and edit my copy still.

Thanks guys, know I can always count on yo

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    All recipients are losers.

(snicker)

Not really.
    But SOME people DON'T understand SOME things.

For one, if you're sending the file as a zip file, they could be opening the Excel file within the zip file and not extracting it first.

For another, they could be opening the file directly through the email message and expecting to be able to then save it.

For another, make sure you're SAVING your file before sending it. (Less likely of an issue.)

Next time they complain, I'd find out if they're inside their email message or not. You can ask them to hit File-Save as. If the folder is one they don't recognize, then it could be, for instance, Outlook's message store folders.

Have you tried forwarding their email messages (from your sent items) to yourself to see if you get the same problem? If you're not, likely it's the recipient at the other end.

3. Lizhusain

Lizhusain Thread Starter

I forward the mail to back to me........and it opened fine.

Don't know what is the problem.

Will enquire more, as to what really is the problem.

What i was told is that the file is read only and cannot overwrite the old copy.

Will inform once I find something out.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/126647

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice