1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Read-Only files on My PC - images un-viewable

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by wlundin3, Apr 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wlundin3

wlundin3 Thread Starter

In the last few weeks, I discovered that many (not ALL, but most) images (jpg, bmp, tiff) on my computer are no longer viewable. No preview available, cannot load, etc. They also show as read-only, I cannot copy or move them.

Windows XP Home, SP1
    MS IE 6.00.2800.1106 128-bit
    Login as Administrator
    No other active accounts or User Profiles (guest disabled, natch)
    have .NET framework 1.1
    no shares, no permissions or group profiles setup. using NTFS
    hard drive, 50% utilization (plenty of space left)
    no scan disk errors, religiously defragged,
    no network mapped drives, no VPN connections, no P2P

I mention .NET, because it seems a highly supect coincidence, but right after I got that "upgrade" i noticed the problem, like now, I MUST use the windows login, when before, with only one active account, I had no login screen. Some processes show up with unknown user id in event viewer, instead of my main/only account. going to dos using attrib command, the -r parameter fails. The OWNER of the files shows as sometimes my login, sometimes as unknown, but either way, I'm locked out.

I recently installed a cgi package, and cannot unlock some files.

Trend Micro and McAffee virus packages do not detect a memory or service virus (trojan or otherwise) and nothing suspicious in task manager or registry in run, runservice, blah blah.

Any help appreciated.

2. wlundin3

wlundin3 Thread Starter

I cannot even turn off indexing service on subfolders that contain there files, access denied.
    (select folder, right-click, properties, general, 'Allow indexing service to index" blah blah, uncheck, apply, okay, ....)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!