Read only trapped files aftter Windows 10 upgrade

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Rastrickian

Reluctantly, after windows7 became slow, I changed to W10 and downloaded Office 365, for a fresh start. Old backed up .xls and .doc files on an external USB HDD will display but are read only. I tried reinstalling my ancient Office 2010 but the product key bounces..... How can I fully access the trapped files in Office 365?

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
The files are the issue so installing difference Office versions won't help, Office 365 will open old files.

They are either marked read-only, have permissions set from the previous computer/account set, or Office is treating the location they are saved as potentially untrusted.

If they are marked as read only, right click on the file(s) or folder and choose properties. Then uncheck the read-only attribute.

If it's a permissions issues then you might need to take ownership of the files, see here for a guide: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-take-ownership-files-and-folders-windows-10

If Office is treating the backed up location of the files as potentially unsafe then it should be giving you a warning banner that you can click on to "Enable Editing". You can and absolutely should copy these files from the backup back to the hard drive or to your OneDrive that comes with Office 365 and that may fix security warnings in Office that place the files in read-only mode.

Rastrickian

Thanks Rob for the prompt response, taking me up the learning curve. The files are now loading into Office 365 OK and are usable. I haven't a clue why! It could be my attempts to load Office 2010 yesterday and delay with the new Office 365 startup. Yes, I will be copying files across now.
All is well ended.... thanks!

Rastrickian

I've just discovered that, in W10, if I use Windows Explorer to target the old file then the file looks for the old Office 2010, which created it. If I fire up the Office 365 application first and then load the file, it runs under the new application. If saved, it runs OK in the new application, when opened......... It's sad that the alert window did not tell me this. (bangs head on desk....going for a beer!)

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
It's because you installed Office 2010, go to Programs & Features in the Control Panel and uninstall Office 2010.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online