read windows files on power mac

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Jsjr77640

I'm a longtime windows user who still is barely past novice as a computer user. I just bought a power mac 5200/75lc, and am trying to learn to use it. There are no manuals.
My pc is connected to the web, but my mac isn't.
1- How can I get the mac to read information from floppy disks made on the pc?

2- Where can I get an inexpensive printer for the power mac?

3- I bought an old external hard disk to hook-up to the mac, but the mac doesn't seem to know it's there. What do I need to do?

4- Is there a source to self-teach onesself about this old mac?

Thank you,
John

Originally posted by Jsjr77640

1- How can I get the mac to read information from floppy disks made on the pc?

2- Where can I get an inexpensive printer for the power mac?

3- I bought an old external hard disk to hook-up to the mac, but the mac doesn't seem to know it's there. What do I need to do?

4- Is there a source to self-teach onesself about this old mac?

1] the Mac should be able to read PC formatted floppys. some dont however, there is no way around this. If it works, great. If not, it probably never will.

2] try Fry's electronics, Comp USA, ebay et al. Any printer should work. you may need to download the newest printer descriptions for it though.

3]what kind of connection does that HD use? What OS are you using? The only thing I can say is that it should just put it on the desktop if it is connected properly.

4]you can do some research on the internet or probably take a class at your local community college. I think most still use old MAC's
--Adam

Jsjr77640

Hi Adam,
Thanks for the advice . . . Thanks for caring enough to reply.
The connection is scsi for the external hard disk. I have tried all that I knew to try, including terminating the 2nd external hard disk and changing the sequence numbers, but so far, observing all that I have read . . . I turned on both external disks, then booted-up the mac, and it gave a sick sound and wouldn't boot, then I turned the externals off and booted-up and it worked until I turned the externals back on and tried to get them to identify themselves. Once the computer totally locked-up, another time it identified one of the externals as a cd drive and the other as a hard disk, but still wouldn't run them.
I am trying to research my problem on the internet. This forum is one form of research, and others are posting topics seeking webpages, etc., but so far, nothing.
I did order a printer from ebay, but that will be awhile in arriving.
Again, thanks for your help, and please write again if you should think of anything else.
John

On the Mac reading PC disks... Check in the Control Panels. There may be one called PC Exchange. Make sure PC Exchange is turned on or active, then restart and it should be able to read PC disks.

On the External SCSI device... You may need to get a third party hard drive utility to format the drive. Is it a true Apple drive? Most likely not, in which case you need third party software to utilize it. I used SilverLining made by LaCie.

On how to learn Macs, the internet is probably your best bet. Or maybe Mac for Dummies. I worked on Macs for many years and miss working on them.:cool:

Jsjr77640

Thanks so very much for the enlightening reply. I will give your suggestions immediate justice by trying them out.
I'm really frustrated because I don't know anything about the equipment I purchased, and am having a very hard time finding sources of information.
John

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online