1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reading drive C

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Costaricence, Feb 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Costaricence

Costaricence Thread Starter

i'm getting "data error reading drive C" messages on my compaq 1692 laptop (windows 98 os). i recently installed office xp, soon before the errors started. i can get to dos, but not to windows, not even in safe mode. what can i do without wiping my hard drive?

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, From the link below, you can read about installing OfficeXp on win98- there are RAM minimums it likes, as well as processor speeds...your system may be hanging due to this, or some sort of corruption of the install, or the result of a previous version of Office, as per the last post down in the thread....I see there is an Office CleanUp tool, maybe you can run that from Safe Mode to handle this probolem for you. ((Just have to wait for help to get you booting up into some kind of Window)) http://bizforums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0x75e5cdec06f1d61190050090279cd0f9,00.html
    If a Scandisk from DOS prompt (A:\scandisk c: )
    didnt fix it up: Your drive may be toast.
    You better install it as a Slave into a system temporarily and pull off what files you have to save. Not programs, just stuff you have created.
    A Registry restore might work....if the drive can work.
    At A:\scanreg /restore
    Then hit Enter key.
    Note the space after g, some say it is not neccessary but that's the way I always run it. Pick a Restore that says Started, a day or so prior to when the trouble started.....if it has been longer than about 4 or 5 days, this will not work.

3. Jeerajat

Jeerajat

Ok run scandisk fully this shuld fix any probs.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116769

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice