1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reading & editing a CD-R ... How is it done???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gary R, Jan 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gary R

Gary R Thread Starter

Now, from what I gather, a CD-R can be written to and files on it edited or deleted, but I came across this sentence on pcsupport.about.com re using CD-R's:
    :
    Once you fill a CD-R with data, you can't change the files that you put there.
    :
    This is the first comp. I've owned with a CDRW in it, and though I know you can alter / add stuff on a CD-RW, HOW do you do it with a CD-R? Also, can someone recommend a good newbies site or book on using a CD-R. :confused:

2. Marturo

Marturo Guest

The best site I have seen on how CD Drives work is this site http://www.howstuffworks.com The next site goes from Nubies to Experts I really like it. From my understanding the CDs we buy from MS and others are made much differently from the way we Copy or write the CD-Rs and CD-RWs. You may have to search for how CDs work on the above site,but it covers the subject in details anyone can understand and remember.

http://www.pcguide.com/intro/index.htm
    Marturo

3. Gary R

Gary R Thread Starter

Ooof! Lot of reading there & still ?'s .......
    IF i understand this right, I can write to a CD-R like I would a 3.5" and say I have a file called "Radio.doc" on the CD-R I can edit that file with say, Word2000, then resave it to the CD-R & the older version would be ovewritten :confused:
    :
    But again, every site had a line in its article(s) re CD-R to the effect that you can't change files on one. Again, I'm :confused:

4. kramnnim

kramnnim

The sites are quite right, you cannot alter the data on a CD-R after you write on it one time. You need a CD-RW to be able to write and rewrite and alter data.

5. Gary R

Gary R Thread Starter

VERRRY INTERESTING!
    :
    I posed a question re the can or can't you edit files on a CD-R only disk in a thread re a problem someone was having with an error message from a CD drive, , and was told in effect that they could be, and why would someone want to put files on something they knew they couldn't use to reedit them after putting them on there?
    :
    Which I read to mean that files on a CD-R could be edited/saved like those on a 3.5"
    SO, once its on a CD-R, its there permanently, no files on it can be edited or worked with, and all that can be done is to read it with a CD-RW. :confused:

6. slipe

slipe

Here is your statement from the thread: ” Since they're read only, you can't alter them in any way or even copy them back to your HD, from what I gather reading around the web, and so the file would be lost to the user....”

You can copy them back to the computer.
    You can read them normally.
    You can work with them by right clicking the file, properties and changing the attribute to archive.
    If you copy a large number of files back to the computer there are batch converters that will change the attributes of all the files to archive in seconds.

You cannot alter the files on the CD if you wrote the files with mastering software regardless of whether it is on CDR or RW media.

If you use packet writing software you can alter the files on the CD if you use RW media but not with write once only CDR.

If you think you saw somewhere in a response to your statement that you can alter stuff once it is on write once CDR media you need to brush up on your reading skills. The reason CDR is a more secure place for important backups is that it can’t be altered. But it can certainly be used.

7. Marturo

Marturo Guest

This is what I do with CD-Rs & CD-RWs: I make a copy of every important Factory CD that I own, & use that copy when I am asked to put disk #1 in ect. I never use the Master CD that came from the manufacture, I would rather break the copy & make a new one. I also use CD-Rs to copy my Sons music CDs so he can play them in his Trucks CD player & won't break or lose the Master CDs. I back up my files and favorites from time to time after all, the CD-Rs cost is only 50 cents ea. Now as far as the CD-RWs I used to back up our web site after I was finished and then my wife would use the CD-RW to do work on the Web site copy changes and so forth. That all came to an end when my Wife moved into her own Computer a twin of mine. I had read that the CD-RW not the CD-R, that sometimes the CD-RW disks made on your CD-RW drive, would not work well with some other CD-ROM & CD-RW Drives. We found this to be true with her CD-ROM Drive so thinking down the road a ways, I thought about what about when my Drive needed replacing. This is why we started using the 250MB Zip Disks with an external ZIP drive it is a 3.5 Diskette on steroids,and so far, any Zip Disks that I have made have worked fine on my friends Zip Drives as long as they are the 250MB Drives and not the 100MB ones. Another thing is I never use my CD-RW to play music or load programs from my CDs, CD-Rs, CD-RWs I use my CD-ROM drive. It is much less expensive to replace a CD-ROM drive than a CD-RW drive. Is this closer to what you want to know? I am sure that others use there drives in different ways except one, and that is no one can Rewrite a CD-R only the CD-RW can be used like a Diskette, Zip disk, Jazz, VCR tape, Cassette Tape because they all have a magnetic media that can be changed more than once. Marturo

8. Gary R

Gary R Thread Starter

As to my reading skill's, I think I do alright
    :
    Anyway, so IF i want to re-edit a CD-R, I have to run files (text, foto's, music(?), graphics) thru a special program to convert them so they can be altered/resaved. Urgh...! And I thought CD-RW/CD-R would be easy to use.
    --
    So far since buying comp, I've made one CD-R (music), but after all this I don't know if I want to use CD-R or not for other things, & stay (for now, anyway), with CD-RW for items (Genealogy, primarily) that need updates fairly often :)
    ++
    had looked at ZIP drive (100 Mb) when I had ye olde 200 MHz. Pentium-Pro (32 Mb. Ram ... Wheee! :) ) but heard/read lot of stories of mechanical-type failures with them, & so decided that a CD-RW/CD-R would be way to go...
    ++
    BY the way, I run the Epson 880 Printer off USB port, so would running a ZIP drive off the parallel port cause any conflict between the printer & ZIP? Just curious.

9. TechChick

TechChick

You don't need any special software to work with CDRs. A CDRW drive is a great device, and CDRs are very easy to work with. They aren't like floppies. They're just like CDs you buy in stores with software already on them. You can copy the files to your hard drive. From there, you can open them, change them, and save them to your hard drive. You can then re-burn them to CD. If you only want to read files or execute programs, just double click on the file name on the CD.

10. slipe

slipe

If you regularly transfer data files to your HD from CDs it is a good idea to remove the read only attribute. If you try to move stuff you get constant messages from Windows wanting assurance that it is OK to move the read only files. If you open a read only file in a word processor you can’t save changes directly to the file but have to “save as” to a new file. Same for spreadsheets or whatever. Same for photos and graphics if you work with them in an image editor.

Most people don’t normally retrieve data files from CDs – they are mainly for backup. If you have a HD failure and have to retrieve your stuff from CDs it is a good idea to remove the read only attribute. It takes only a minute to batch convert them and that is usually the least of your problems after a HD failure. At least you can count on your backups being intact. I would hate to have a HD failure and have to depend on packet written RWs for my important stuff.

MP3s will play and programs will install and zips will unzip. If you copy these kinds of programs back to the HD it is just a slight hassle to move them around if you don’t remove the read only attribute.

I’ve had burners for over 5 years and burned hundreds of CDs. I could count on one hand the number of times that read only was even an issue and it has never been a problem. My main interface with read only is in adding the attribute to photos and images so I don’t accidentally hit save rather than save as and alter the original, which I like to keep.

11. Gary R

Gary R Thread Starter

++++++++++

I notice that with Word2000 when you right-click on the icon in the MyDocuments folder & properties comes up there is a setting for for "Attributes" but all are grayed out.
    Sooooo .... again if I read this right it would be better to put the files I'd want to save/work with on a 3.5" or ZipDisk (If there's enough room) than on a CD-R, and just use a CD-R for backing up program CD's, or 3.5"'s I want to save olde programs off of....
    But, problem with a Zip is the other person would have to have a matching drive (I assume a 100 Mb. disk wouldn't read on a 250MB, & vice-versa...) :confused:

12. Marturo

Marturo Guest

A 100MB zip will work fine in a 250MB ZIP Drive not vice versa. Also a Zip Disk can be compressed, now we not talking about that big a difference between a 250MB Zip, compressed & a CD-RW. Try http://www.iomega.com for more info on the different Zip Drives. One last thought with a 3.5 diskette you must make two just 2 be sure, a Zip has a lifetime just as does a CD-RW. The Zip has a feture that warns you that it's useful life is coming to an end, a CD-RW does not. I use CD-RWs when I go out on a house call, filled with software tools and fixes that must be kept updated, however I won't put all the work I have done on Family Pictures & slides on CD-RWs, I'll master them on brand new Compressed Zip 250s. Zip Drives have been around longer than CD-RWs & and as with any drive you get what you pay for. Marturo

13. TechChick

TechChick

The properties aren't grayed out. That's not what that means. It means that the properties for the subfolders and files are different. You can still remove the check mark from the read only attribute box.

14. pauld63

pauld63

Blank CDRs can be had on sale for 25 or 30 cents each. You can write to them once and can not change what you put there on the CD. CDRWs can be rewritten on, but cost a bit more. I have had a zip drive(100mg) for several years and a CDR-CDRW drive for a couple. For transfering lots of data just copy to a CDR. Zip disks aren't nearly as cheap or reliable. My Zip drive hasn't been connected for several months.

15. Gary R

Gary R Thread Starter

CD-R ....... Primarily for backing up program & Music CD's
    CD-R/W ... Best for whatever else you want to do. Can be made into a CD-R (primarily for music).
    :
    How close to right am I in my impression of CD-R/RW usage???

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!