Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reading Firewall Configuration Without netsh

590 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  des000 
#1 ·
I need some assistance figuring out how to read the firewall configuration without netsh. I need to be able to read it from the command line.

I'd had a program I created which encapsulates all the network properties of Windows XP. It can set and get all the relevant properties for the network. I'm using it in a program to save and restore network configuration. Except for using netsh for getting the port openings and exceptions for the Windows XP firewall does not seem to be working too well, so I need another more reliable method. You'd think this method would be the most reliable, but it doesn't seem to be.

First off, netsh is not always reporting the firewall configuration properly and may not even be setting it right. I can open the GUI and see it not reporting it properly, at the very least. The GUI reports it as having port openings, and the command line does not always. It's the same with Exceptions. Except for also with exceptions, I'm seeing that the displayed properties does NOT even have the information to feed it back in to the other end of the program. Unfortunately for me, what I output must be able to be fed back in somehow, so it must give all of the information. Of course, this output is meant for humans and computers. The output should be able to be fed back, but not nessasarily directly, as that would be cumbersome.

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.