1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reading flash memory cards in Vista

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by alwrmc, Nov 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alwrmc

alwrmc Thread Starter

First Name:
    B.L.
    This seems really odd to me and I have been unable to figure it out. When I insert a card from one of our digital cameras into the reader(s) on my computer it reads the card and I can view the files. But the next time I insert a card into the reader it brings up the photos from the last set of files that were on that card (using Windows Explorer). It's as though it is not reading the card but is reading the directory that the previous files occupied on that card. Yet when I click on one of the "old" photo thumbnails it will bring up the "new" photo. Removing and reinserting the card does not help. Rebooting does not help. If I right click on one of the old photo thumbnails and bring up the real photo and alter it, for example rotate it and then save it, it will show up normally. I can select all of the photos, even though the ones I select are "old" and move them into a seperate folder. When I view the photos in that folder they are correct! This is happening with both SD cards and Smart Media cards (old and outdated but I love that camera!). What the heck am I missing?
    I'm not sure that this makes sense, so what I mean is....
    I took photos in Oct 2007, moved them to a directory on my hard drive, reformated the card. I then took new photos on that card in Nov 2007 and when I place that card with those Nov 2007 photos into my computers card reader, Windows Explorer brings up the thumbnails of the Oct 2007 photos. If I click on one of the Oct 2007 thumbnails I am presented with one of the Nov 2007 photos.
    ????? :confused:

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Do a refesh (F5) and see what happens. It appears that the "Thumbs.bd" is NOT being updated.

3. alwrmc

alwrmc Thread Starter

First Name:
    B.L.
    I sorta mentioned "refreshing" when I indicated that rebooting does not bring up the correct set of thumbnails. Is there a "force" that will do the trick? Is there a setting that I have somehow managed to turn off/on?

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Rebooting DOES NOT do a refersh.
    To do a refresh one must use the F5 key or the menu "View, Refresh".

5. alwrmc

alwrmc Thread Starter

First Name:
    B.L.
    I sorta mentioned "refreshing" when I indicated that rebooting does not bring up the correct set of thumbnails.

What I mean is that nothing works to bring up the correct thumbnails, not refreshing, not rebooting, not removing/reinserting the card.

6. scaledtricks

scaledtricks

Has there been any follow-up on this?
    The problem is obviously that Vista doesn't use a thumbs.db file, it has a central database.
    On XP a thumbs.db doesn't get generated for removable storage (unless I'm mistaken), meaning the thumbnails always get generated on the fly, whereas Vista references the CDB, and if the filenames/paths are the same as an old batch, there will be mistakes.

So I'm asking whether anyone knows if you can tell Vista not to cache thumbnails for removable drives.
    I'm having this and other problems with Vista's method, and I need thumbnails on my main drive, so turning them off globally is not an option.

7. dav19390

dav19390

I had the same problem and it took me weeks to work it out. If the cause is the same as mine, with an Olympus camera, then the problem lies with your camera settings, not the computer.
    Each time you download pictures, your computer stores the file numbers in its database. If you then reformat the card and the camera generates the same file numbers, when you ask the computer to display whatever the first picture is in a new set of files and there is a previous file already stored on your hard disc with the same number, then it will bring the old one up and not the new one.
    On my camera, there is a setting that offers the alternatives:
    Starting each new set of pictures with the same file numbers as last time
    OR
    not resetting them and letting them follow on consecutively from the numbers used in the previous set of shots.
    The latter option means that each file has a unique reference number and avoids the duplication problem.
    If your camera does not have that facility, you will need to work round the problem - probably renaming each file on your hard disc after you have downloaded it may do it.

I would have thought that your camera would have the dual option above, otherwise it would automatically generate unique file numbers. If that was not the case, the problem would be better documented because so many other people would have encountered it.

Hope this helps

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/647284

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice