Reading WDB files in Office XP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cpatcher

I recently upgraded from Windows 98 to the home edition of XP. I also have Office XP. I originally had Windows 3.11 and I have a few files on a disk that were saved in WDB (Works Data Base) format. Is there anyway I can convert those WDB files so I can use them in Office XP?
I would appreciate any help that I can get.
Thank you.

Anne Troy

Anne
Open the database in Works, hit File-Save as and choose CSV file. You should be able to create an Access database (File-Get external data) or Excel spreadsheet (File-Open, change files of type to ALL or CSV) and open the CSV file from either of these.

cpatcher

Thank you for your quick reply.
I don't have a version of Works any more. Do you have any other ideas?

have you tried opening them in either access or excel?

a long shot but MS Works is a stripped down version of Office, it's possible that one of them may recognize the format

otherwise, you'd need to get them on a machine with works installed, then save them in a format you can use

cpatcher

Thank you for your assistance. I have tried Excel but not Access which I will try. I do remember that the 98 or 99 version of Excel open them but I personally don't have access to it anymore or to Works but I will find someone. Thank you again.

Max19

Account Disabled
Excel 98 was only for Apple computers, and there isn't an Excel 99. For PCs there's Excel 97, Excel 2000, and Excel XP.

cpatcher

Thank you for your input. My brain does not work too well sometimes. I just knew it was an older version of Excel and didn't give it a whole lot of thought. I appreciate you explaining it to me.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online