ReadyBoost Compatibility?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

HungryMuffin

Well I have vista installed fairly successfully (still some video issues) but I plugged in a new 2GB usb flash drive expecting to give a boost to my ram. It turns out that it "doesn't have the required performance characteristics for use in speeding up your system". What the deuce?!

MMJ

http://blogs.msdn.com/tomarcher/archive/2006/06/02/615199.aspx
: What perf do you need on your device?
A: 2.5MB/sec throughput for 4K random reads and 1.75MB/sec throughput for 512K random writes

Q: My device says 12MB/sec (or 133x or something else) on the package but windows says that it isn't fast enough to use as a ReadyBoost device... why?
A: Two possible reasons:

1. The numbers measure sequential performance and we measure random. We've seen devices that have great sequential perf, but horrible random
2. The performance isn't consistantly fast across the entire device. Some devices have 128M of lightning fast flash and the rest of the device is really slow. This is fine for some applications but not ReadyBoost.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReadyBoost said:
For a device to be compatible and useful it must conform to the following requirements:

* The capacity of the USB device must be at least 256 MB
* The USB device must support USB 2.0
* The device should have an access time of 1ms or less.
* The device must be capable of 2.5 MB/s read speeds for 4 kB random reads spread uniformly across the entire device and 1.75 MB/s write speeds for 512 kB random writes spread uniformly across the device.
* The device must have at least 235 MB of free space
* The initial release of ReadyBoost supports one device.
Google is your friend. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online