1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ReadyBoost Prevents Windows from Loading

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by AshleeD, Apr 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AshleeD

AshleeD Thread Starter

I've been using ReadyBoost for a few weeks now and found it did speed up my system considerably. One site quoted 30% increased startup and I would agree with that. If you're low on ram it's a cheap and easy way to increase speed. Since upgrading from 1gb ram to 3gb the speed difference became unnoticable so I've now disabled it.

However I did notice a rather major flaw in using it. When I don't have my ReadyBoost drive in my computer won't start. After the boot screen it just continues searching for the drive. This can be a problem if your USB drive fails, you lose it or if your USB drive is not fast enough to handle RB.

To make matters worse your computer pre-tests that a drive is RB capable and (suprisingly) my slow USB drive passed the initial test while my capable drive failed. So you don't really have any idea if a drive will work until you restart.

I read someone stating that if your drive is not capable to remove it and windows will continue to load. This did not happen for me. Infact I had to go back to a restore point to start my comp. Which obviously would be a pain if there was a problem with restoring my system or I hadn't created a restore point for quite some time. Perhaps since Windows 7 this has been improved but for Vista users attempting this: Would there be any other way to start if ReadyBoost failed to work?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919714

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice