1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Readying slave drive for WIN XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by monkeysee, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. monkeysee

monkeysee Thread Starter

I have a master slave setup with WIN XP Pro. My current master C: drive is the one I use at this time. I wish to at my leisure, ready my slave drive for use without backing myself into a corner until I am ready. I understand that you are able to format, partition, etc from the computer management console. What scares me is that my slave drive is listed as C(F:) in the console. I even explored it from within the console, and it appears to have an identical content to my C drive, although I have mainly used it for storage. Can someone verify that if it is listed as a separate basic drive, I am not going to wipe out my present drive in the process? Also, do I partition as well as format when I do make the move? Thanks so much for any help.

2. norton850

norton850

I'm sure that I'm just missing what you are saying. I'm not sure what letter your slave drive has "C" or "F" How are they listed in my computer and if you explore them there does their content seem right?

3. murray654

murray654

If you disconnect the slave drive from the motherboard, does this prevent windows from starting? If not, then it is safe to re-format it. PS why partition it? A single partition is normally a good idea

4. monkeysee

monkeysee Thread Starter

In Explorer, I have a C: drive and a C:(F) drive showing. In Computer Management, I have a C(C:) healthy system drive, and a C(F:) healthy active drive. They are both show as basic fat32 partitions.
    Every program I have installed in my main drive also shows installed on my slave drive (were only installed on one drive). The data shows different and correct on both drives (I have in there what I put in there!). Perhaps it is just an Explorer "thing", the way it shows?

Thanks for your help

5. murray654

murray654

Every time you type : and ) next to each other the forum software thinks you want a :) , and replaces it which makes reading this kind of difficult. Same if you type : and ( then it is replaced with :(

6. murray654

murray654

I am going to assume both your drives have the same name "C" because in the drive management console I have winXPpro(c: ) and data(d: )

1. If you have c(c: ) and c(f: ) then your drives have the same name (right click a drive and select properties to change the drive name). If the second drive contains the same files, is it possible that you tried to copy them there? Have you already used Ghost or Disk Clone to create a mirror of the hard drive?

If you view the drive properties from the disk management console, you should be able to see the volumes tab. Click the populate button to see what volume is on each drive.
    2. Another (less likely) possibility is that drive f: is re-directed to drive c: How do you detect if drive f: is directed to c: ? In older versions you could use the redir command to redirect any drive letter to any folder. I am not sure if this command is even available in windows XP
    Hope this helps

7. monkeysee

monkeysee Thread Starter

Hi Murray,
    I followed your detailed instructions, and the problem is resolved. It turns out that when I renamed my slave drive F in Computer Management, it now shows correctly in Explorer. Regarding the programs that show, I had setup the F drive as a shared drive, so maybe that is the answer there.
    Back to my readying this F drive as mentioned to become my main drive. Is it now safe to format the F drive from within the Computer Management console, and do I need to partition and format, or just format?
    Again, thanks for your help.

8. murray654

murray654

If the F: drive is new, how did it get data on it?

Was it used before or have you tried to copy data on to it?

First, make sure there are no files on it that you need. One way to do this is to shutdown the computer, remove the IDE cable from the new drive and start up your computer with just the C: drive connected. (the bios may complain a little, but it is safe to continue) If everything you need is still there on the C: drive, then shutdown, re-connect the f: drive and restart the computer. Now you know for sure if it is safe to format the f: drive. ​

What you choose to do next depends: there are several ways to skin a cat.

My guess is that formatting and partitioning is a waste of time, unless you are using the OEM windows XP CD. If you are installing from a windows XP upgrade CD or using a 3rd party utility to mirror the drive, then you will have opportunity to format and partition the drive.

Warning! If you chose to set up windows from scratch, and your windows CD is not the OEM version but the upgrade version you may need to insert your previous OS CD to prove that you qualify for the upgrade. And the CD key of that CD may also be required.

Setting up windows from scratch: First disconnect the old hdd completely. Set up windows on the new HDD. You can reconnect the old drive as a slave later when you are finished setting up windows to copy any data off it. During the windows setup you will have the opportunity to format and/or partition the drive.

One problem you may face is that some computer manufacturers do not supply the windows CD and instead give you a recovery CD. Some recovery CD's are no good because they rely on files on the original HDD. The windows OEM CD might tell you that you can not use the OEM CD to upgrade your computer... If you have the OEM CD you might have to format the HDD.

Using a 3rd party utility to copy the file system from the old drive: The alternative to a clean install is to use a 3rd party utility like Ghost or Disk Clone to copy your file system from the old hdd to the new one. This way you avoid having to reinstall all your drivers etc but windows may need to be activated again. You also copy all the old problems that your old windows installation had. So if you are happy with the Windows setup you had before, then do it. If your Windows installation was horrible, then rather start a new installation of Windows.

Before attempting to clone your HDD, a disk cleanup is recommended. e.g. You can speed it up by deleting your Internet cache and any other unnecessary files. Also, you normally have to boot into the utility from a floppy or CD. The utility will also be able to set the default boot drive without you having to set the master / slave drive etc. But I would set the new drive as master and the old drive as slave early on.

I hope this is not to confusing and you can come to the right logical conclusions.

Best regards,

9. monkeysee

monkeysee Thread Starter

Hi Murray,
    Did you say logical conclusion....
    Thank you for a most detailed and informative answer.
    I have been using the drive for storage and backups. Might have even installed a handful of programs prior to using it as such. I clean house and reinstall windows when it starts giving me miscellaneous problems, due to the fact that I dowload a lot of junk!
    I will be going the clean install route, since I want it all "fresh", but just one more question: Say that I have verified that my C drive is totally independent of what is listed as F now (unhook IDE cable, then rehook after verification, etc). Can I install WIN XP Pro into my F slave drive while I am still using my C drive actively- in other words from within my C drive? Or are you saying that in order to have Windows function properly, I must have the slave drive hooked up as the main drive when I install it and all programs? As I said, I am trying to ready my new drive without losing use of my present drive (I have need of the computer drive for my business).
    Thanks again

10. murray654

murray654

Mostly I have had to set up windows on a computer with one empty drive.

Do you want to dual boot? I have no experience with this, but here are the instructions I found: Windows setup will need access to both drives during setup to set this up. I think you can start setup from inside windows, then select Custom Installation. Choose a New windows Installation and select the Unused Disk.

Once you are done, Windows, supposedly, will prompt you when you boot to select the OS to Boot with. But like I said, I have no experience with this.

My own personal choice would be a single boot system: disconect the old drive, set the new one as master, so you do not mess up the boot sector on the old drive. The advantage is that you will have the option to connect the old drive as a master drive to boot it up like normal if you ever needed to.

Getting your files:
    Once windows is running on the old hdd then you can create the same user name/password combination on the new windows, connect the old hdd as a slave to copy all your old data files to the new hdd. Of course, logging in as administrator should give you access to all the user files too :)

Good luck

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276268

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice