1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Real Downloads

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Roger100, Feb 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Roger100

Roger100 It's My Birthday! Thread Starter

When I now try to download a programme I get the message "The port is already open". I have tried rebooting but I still get this message. Can anyone advise me what to do next. Thanks. Roger

2. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

3. Roger100

Thanks for your reply. When I went out this morning I could not even get connected to Broadband which also gave me the message "The port is open". I turned off my computer , worried all day, when I got home my wife said "glad to see you fixed the computer before you went out, the Internet is OK".
    However when I tried to download a programme using RealDownload it refused to start the download and this time gave no reason. As this will be the first time I have had to download anything since I changed from dial-up to Broadband I wonder whether changes have to be made to RealDownload. Does anybody have any ideas. Roger

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Personally, I'd lose RealDownload. There is no reason to have a download manager for 99% of the folks that attempt to use them. Uninstall it, and I predict you'll have better luck.

5. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Before I got cable I used getright. It was nice in case I got booted I didn't have to start over. Once in awhile I'll use it if the file is huge, (in excess of 200 meg.) because it will search for alternates and speed it up.

You are broadband now. Forget it for the most part.

6. Roger100

Thanks for that advice. As a first step I have deleted it from being linked to my browser and have successfully downloaded an up to date version of Hijack This without Real Downloads. I did not know that you could download without using a programme like Real DownLoads but now I know better. Roger (y)

7. Roger100

I have now gone the next step and have removed Real Downloads. Having looked at all the items that I have downloaded which are in my Download File can I just right click all those programmes that have .exe at the end of their name and delete them. I can't even remember now why I downloaded most of them and they are not in my list of Programmes. Roger

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!