1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Real Player volume control also controls Media Player Volume ?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by john2004, Aug 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john2004

john2004 Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

I noticed the volume of my music was not as loud as it was in the past when playing CD's or MP3 files with Windows Media Player 10. I had the volume turned all the way up in Media player and also in Realtek HD Audio Manager, but the sound was just not anywhere near as loud as it was before. I recently un-installed "Discover stream hub / Discover.exe" and thought that this might have had something to do with it, but that does not seem to be the case.

I decided to try to play an mp3 file with Realplayer and found that with the volume turned up in realplayer, the mp3 files sounded normal again, plenty of volume.

What surprised me is that if I close Realplayer with it's volume control turned up, then open the MP3 with Medial player, it will sound normal in media player, (plenty of volume). If I turn the volume control in Real player all the way down, close it, then play a file with Media Player, there will be no sound at all.

Somehow, the volume control for Realplayer is effecting and overriding the volume control for Media Player. Can anyone offer any suggestions as to how this might be happening ? Has anyone else ever experienced this type of thing ?

It's not a big deal now that I found out what was going on, but tracking down problems like this can drive you nuts. It seems crazy that the volume control from one program would control the other, I'm just wondering what might be going on. I'm using Windows XP Media Center Edition SP2 On an HP Pavilion a152on computer.

Thanks
    John

2. Jon1001

Jon1001

Hi John

The reason that this happens is that when you change the volume in real player, it changes the 'Wave' volume for the whole system. I don't pretend to know too much about this but basically, real player changes part of the system volume which also affects the volume in media player. To see this for yourself, open Real Player and then go into Sounds, Speech, and Audio Devices under control panel. Click on Advanced Volume Controls under the 'See Also' heading on the left. There should be a column labelled 'Wave'. If you now change the volume in Real Player, you will see this changing also. As a result, it changes the volume system wide. Hope this solves your confusion.

3. john2004

john2004 Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply,

I understand what's going on, but it just seems crazy to me that a third party application would control the volume level for all of windows and/or override windows media player. If anything, on a windows system you would think that windows media player would be the one that controls the volume for the whole system.

Each program should control nothing but it's own volume and have no system wide effects. If a system wide effect is desired, it should be controlled by windows and nothing else. This seems like common sense.

Lets say you have a new computer user that forgets they had the volume turned down on real player three days ago. Now, they want to use media player or some other program and cannot understand why the volume is not loud enough. It really is ridiculous that they would implement something like this. Basically, real player has hijacked the volume controls.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!