1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

real time spyware spyware scanner? (free)

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by danv12, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. danv12

danv12 Thread Starter

i need a real time spyware scanner for free. I also need a virus scanner (realtime) avast, avg, or antivir? Does anybody have suggestions?

2. 1101doc

1101doc

Anti-virus by definition is real-time. For anti-spyware, Spywareguard, Spywareblaster,Cyberhawk. May be others also, just thought of those right away.

3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I am happy using Windows Defender but I do have AVG Anti-Spyware installed as well.

I use AVG for anti-virus.

4. golferbob

golferbob

5. danv12

danv12 Thread Starter

can i run two realtime scanners at the same time?

6. golferbob

golferbob

i only run 1 ,spyware blaster and use just scan with avg as ,spybot and ad-aware.

7. Fidelista

Fidelista

spyware blaster can be "ran" with any other Anti -spyware software---no conflicts because it not really a scanner . Works different.
    If you really want active protection running , I would invest in AVG 7.5 Anti-spyware . Active protection is a paid option.
    From my understanding , Spyware Guard {by Javacool} isnt regulary updated??--I could be wrong but worth checking out. >f

8. golferbob

golferbob

spyware guard is not updated any more .some of the pro's say to use winpatrol . i haven't tried that.

9. escalader

escalader

I am not yet confirmed to comment on the security forum where this question maybe better served. So I will not comment there if it moves there. I don't think you want 2 active AV's or active ASW's.

In general, there are 2 types of protection and search and destroy tools.

1) Active or real time as you call them ( free and paid)
    2) On Demand. ( free and paid)

The on demand are run at your discretion and are good since no one tools nails all 100% of these parasites.

If I were stating fresh and only going with freebies, here is the lineup.

1) Active (all update regularly)

ASW= Spybot Search and Destroy with tea timer turned on
    AV= Anti_Vir
    PLUS a In/Out Firewall which you didn't mention.

2) On Demand (all update regularly)

ASW= Adware SE
    AV= BitDefender v8

Again these are my own ideas and opinions only. I cannot comment on HiJack this posts but as you don't have one I wanted to share my thoughts with you.

10. new tech guy

new tech guy

Well here is my av/antispy setup and it has worked smoothly (plus it doesnt consume background system rescources and all are freebie software that is known to work well!) Av-avg antivirus free edition. Does what i need it to do and it is very small
    ASW- Combo of spywareblaster and ad aware. Spywareblaster is not an everything scanner but it works by blocking active x controls in internet explorer of known malicious websites and blocks cookies in other software like mozilla firefox of known malicious websites. And that is the main gateway of spyware entry through the active x so i think i run a slight window of infection but not enough to worry about as the major source is protected. And if something does wriggle past spywareblaster, i run ad aware as an on demand scanner with updated definiton files. So if something gets by spyware blaster then ad aware will nab it. Only once did something slip by that protection setup for me.

11. zbd21

zbd21

A free real-time spyware program is spyware terminator. Those other programs listed are not real time protection. Windows defender is almost useless as it finds almost no spyware. Ad aware and Spybot Search and Destroy are much better.

Spyware terminator:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Spyware_Terminator_d5242.html

12. Fidelista

Fidelista

Set up on my Pc's . All free.
    AVG anti-virus
    AVG Antii-Spyware free
    Ad-aware Personal free.
    Spy-bot SD {tea timer}
    SpywareBalster {Javacool}
    These have always served me well. >f

13. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

14. carlo_scute

carlo_scute

I use Avg 7.5 antivirus and antispyware,
    Spyware blaster, Winpatrol 2007, A-squared, Spybot, and Ad-aware(all free ed.)
    these are coupled with Mvp and Ie-spyad hosts list.
    and Zone alarm firewall 7.0 free ed.

15. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

Linux: PCLinuxOS dual boot with XPSP2
    No anti-virus
    No anti-spyware
    No nothing
    No worries
    Seems to free up the ram and CPU pretty good.
    Time spent scanning for viruses and such freed up pretty good too!
    Time to reinstall should something miraculously get by <10 min.
    Cost: 1 CD
    Ohhhhhhhh Yeah.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541892