1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Real world speed difference of 14.4 and 21 Mbps HSPA modems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by apakhira, Aug 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. apakhira

apakhira Thread Starter

Hi all,
    I'm planning to get myself a 3G datacard. I'm not being able to decide whether to spend money for a 21Mbps one or go for a 14.4. Thing is in my city 3G speeds never reach beyond 3-6Mbps. So would the 21Mbps thing help? As in, in the same network, will the 21Mbps perform better than the 14.4 Mbps one or will they be similar in performance?
    I'm thinking, if these have different compression and/or modulation technologies, the 21 Mbps card might have an advantage, like a 56k modem has better speeds than a 33.6k modem on a same not-so-good analog telephone line, mainly due to the different compression technology involved. I couldn't find proper information about this in the internet, so posted this question.

Thanks,

2. ThePCguy95

ThePCguy95

I have not personally use any of these cards or data services, but since 21Mbps is more than 14.4Mbps, I would assume it is faster. Just talk to the service provider you are going to go with and they usually will have a pamphlet telling you about the choices, or they will likely refer you to an online page about them.

3. apakhira

apakhira Thread Starter

No, I know 21 is faster than 14.4 Mbps. But real world speeds never reach more than 3-6 Mbps in our networks. In this context I asked whether a 21Mbps modem will be of any help, due to better hardware probably.

4. ThePCguy95

ThePCguy95

The 21 and 14.4 are in MegaBITS per second, real speeds are in MegaBYTES, One megabyte is 8 megabits which means that the real speed of each one is 2.62 for 21, and 1.8 for 14.4. Now in reality this all depends on your location, your cell phone network/carrier, and the specific plan you pay for. But aside from that, the 21Mbps will be faster, and for it to be rated as 21, the hardware would have to be faster anyways, While the 14.4 is slower because that is what the hardware is limited to.

5. apakhira

apakhira Thread Starter

I understand about the bits and bytes thing. I wanted to be clear on whether this 14.4 and 21 are brickwall limits, or is the 21 Mbps modem faster than thee 14.4 one over the whole range of network conditions.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1063441

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice