Really bad network issue!!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

0vermind

Okay first off we have....

Comcast Hi-Speed Internet [HIGHEST SPEED POSSIBLE] w/Wireless Network
Computers connect to Comcast Wireless-G Cable Gateway

Problem:
My sisters computer [this one I'm using] has had this problem for the longest time:
She can connect to the internet just perfectly fine but she can't see anyone on the network nor any computer and printers!! We've Power Cycled the Gateway many times and we burned it one time during our move so I don't think it that! We've power cycled the computers many times I can't seem to figure out what the problem is!!!

Ohh yahhh and I've called in as well no help from them (Comcast Homenetworking Line).

Sister's Network Information:
Code:
---------[ Windows Network ]-------------------------------------------------------------

[ Instant Wireless-B PCI Adapter ]

Network Adapter Properties:
      Network Adapter                                   Instant Wireless-B PCI Adapter
      Interface Type                                    Wireless Ethernet
      Hardware Address                                  00-0F-66-05-E9-8D
      Connection Name                                   Wireless Network Connection
      Connection Speed                                  11 Mbps
      MTU                                               1500 bytes
      DHCP Lease Obtained                               1/14/2006 3:09:18 PM
      DHCP Lease Expires                                1/14/2006 4:09:18 PM
      WLAN Signal Strength                              -75 dBm (Low)
      Bytes Received                                    160375674 (152.9 MB)
      Bytes Sent                                        9066803 (8.6 MB)

Network Adapter Addresses:
      IP / Subnet Mask                                  192.168.0.14 / 255.255.255.0
      Gateway                                           192.168.0.1
      DHCP                                              192.168.0.1
      DNS                                               192.168.0.1
Thanks,
Michael - 0vermind

TerryNet

Terry
Make sure your sister's computer is in the same workgroup as the others, has a unique computer name and has file and printer sharing enabled.

Make sure that none of the computers has a 3rd party firewall blocking access.

If you need more help, please tell us your sister's OS and Service Pack level, and what you do to try to "see" the other computers.

0vermind

OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional [NO SP1 OR SP2, SHE DOESN'T BELEAVE IN THEM]

*She is in the same workgroup/domain!

*She doesn't have a firewall or Windows Firewall for that matter.

*Her computer name is uniqe.

We have all ready tired:
Enabling Services [w/Services.msc]
Talking to comcast tech support
Power Cycling Modem/Gateway
PowerCycling Computer
Repairing Connection
Disabling and ReEnabling Adapter
Registry Cleanup/Repair [w/Reg Mechanic]
Replacing Gateway
Network Diagnostics Tools

UPDATE:
Another thing to add to the problem:
Her signle strength is always LOW or VERY LOW no matter how close she is to the gateway [E.G. She used to be 10 Feet away and still got LOW]. Am about 15 feet away and always get EXCELLENT

Thanks,
Michael - 0vermind

TerryNet

Terry
"Windows XP Professional [NO SP1 OR SP2, SHE DOESN'T BELEAVE IN THEM]"

Sorry, but with all the networking and wireless fixes in SP2, I have no idea how to tackle these problems in XP w/o SP1 and SP2. Well, other than the obvious idea of updating Windows.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Since SP2 fixed a bunch of issues with wireless networking, it's pointless for us to bang our heads against the wall trying to solve a problem that has an obvious solution.

FWIW, the only reason I normally see people so reluctant to apply any service packs is they have unlicensed copies of XP, and can't get the pack to apply. :rolleyes:

0vermind

JohnWill said:
FWIW, the only reason I normally see people so reluctant to apply any service packs is they have unlicensed copies of XP, and can't get the pack to apply.
I have nothing to do with it ^ [X_X], she also says that "serivce packs are evil".

well lets just say she can't either...... I don't want to go into a big disscussion on why she can't install XP SP1 -OR- SP2. But I think you hit the point, JohnWill ;).

Is there any way I can get the Service Pack 2 on there, or did MICRO$OFT MAKE IT IMPOSSIBLE???

Thanks,
Michael - 0vermind

cwwozniak

Chuck
0vermind said:
b]UPDATE:[/b]
Another thing to add to the problem:
Her signle strength is always LOW or VERY LOW no matter how close she is to the gateway [E.G. She used to be 10 Feet away and still got LOW]. Am about 15 feet away and always get EXCELLENT
By any chance is your network name some simple default like HOME or MSHOME? If so, is it possible that she is connecting to a neighbor's wireless router that has the same default network name. That could explain why her signal strength is always weak.

--
Chuck W.

I have nothing to do with it ^ [X_X], she also says that "serivce packs are evil".
Sorry but service packs uaully are out to FIX stuff not to raise demons from their unearthly graves.

Is there any way I can get the Service Pack 2 on there, or did MICRO$OFT MAKE IT IMPOSSIBLE???
Yeah just keep running windows Update and applying all fixes you will probably havde to install a good 3 hours worth of patches and downloads to make it up to SP2. Either that or download SP2 from here. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...BE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

Also I agree with cwwozniak if your using some default setting like that CHANGE IT immediately. I usually say anything other than the standard settings for all your devices because then it makes it "easy" for a mixup. Change all PC's from HOME or MSHOME to something unique as well your SSID should be changed to something unique so you know your connecting to the right thing.

Default settings are more evil than Service Packs IMHO.

It's true that SP's can sometimes change very small things, but usually people who are reluctant to install them really have no idea about this stuff or the benefits of having the most current SP on their computer. Usually, it's because that person's Uncle Bob, or whomever, installed a SP and had a bad experience. If you ever contact anybody about support, that's one of the first thing that person is going to ask you, whether or not you have the most current SP. My advice would be to install SP2 before anything else. I would be interested in hearing why she thinks they're so evil....LOL

cwwozniak

Chuck
I agree with skinnywhiteboy that most people are reluctant to install updates just because they heard that someone who knew someone else had a bad experience. I would add that their reluctance is not totally unfounded. In the case of Win-XP SP2, the folks at MS compiled a list of programs that would have problems after updating to SP2. I found it interesting that the list included MS products:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=842242

In my case, unless a patch or update is to correct a major security hole (like the WMF problem a few weeks ago), I hold off a few days on installing new ones just to make sure no one has found out the cure breaks more things than it fixes.

--
Chuck W.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
We will not assist in problems with unlicensed copies of XP, which it's apparent is what we're dealing with here. Let's call it a day, I'm going to close this thread.

I suggest you tell her to obtain and install a legal copy of XP, bring it up to the current service pack level, and we'll be glad to assist further.

Closed.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online