1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Really basic Wifi question

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Italie2001, Nov 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Italie2001

Italie2001 Thread Starter

Hi there, I'm sure this will be a really simple question for all of you but I cant find the answer easily online - I actually have 2 questions.

I have a PC which is about 5 years old. I tried to attach a wireless router but it wouldnt let me so I guessed that it didnt have the wifi stuff inside to allow me to do that (note all my technical jargon!). I noticed a thing on Amazon called a USB wireless adapter. Now if I put this in my USB port would it allow me to set up the wireless router? Secondly, I want to buy a netbook or laptop for my son for christmas which I assume will have the wifi technology. If I have the wireless router set up at home will the laptop be able to access the internet from that too or do I need to do something else?

Thanks very much for your help

Italie

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

To get the old PC to connect with the wireless router you will need the Wireless adapter if there is no wireless card already inside the PC.

If you buy a new machine with a built in wireless adapter it should connect to a wireless router without the need to buy anything else.

3. Italie2001

Italie2001 Thread Starter

Fab! Thanks. I thought so but just wanted to check with someone who knew.

Thanks again!! x

4. Mark1956

Mark1956

Your welcome.

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

For the old desktop computer, do you need to connect wirelessly to the router? If the computer is near the router, you can connect with an Ethernet cable.

6. akonobi2011

akonobi2011

Yes, a usb wifi adapter will allow you to connect to your wireless router but make sure your operating system is compatible with the usb adapter ( that there are drivers for your particular OS) Yes your laptop will be able to connect to your router if wifi is "built-in" to it, as is the case with most newer ones

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028370

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice