1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Really messed up picture viewing problem

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by JimmyJamez, Sep 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JimmyJamez

JimmyJamez Thread Starter

Ok...This is what I know:

I'm running Vista and am having a very serious problem with (what appear to be) corrupted picture files, both jpeg and .cr2. Random pics will just appear to fall apart on the thumb nail and in full viewing. The problem is system wide, it doesn't matter what method i use to view the images the result is the same. I use ACDSee pro 2, LightRoom 2, Windows Explorer and Canon Digital Photo Professional. All the programs see the same weird lines. ACDSee will give me a brief glimps of the photo then revert back to the messed up view.

Now, I sent two of the photos to a friend of mine to check on his system and to my suprise they where fine. He was able to view them, make a tiff and send them back to me with no problem. So, it is obvious that the files are not corrupt and this is a problem with my system. My friend said it may be some kind of problem with my video card, but he was only guessing.

My computer is only 3 months old and has already fatally crashed once. The files on my back up exteranl drive view excatly the same way. I use Sync Toy to do my back ups.

Hope this is enough info for someone to help me. If you need more just ask. I really need this to not happen anymore. I'm a pro photographer and this could potentially cost me thousands of dollars in lost work.

I tried uploading an example but i was told it was missing a security token.

Thanks a bunch

2. moper

moper

3. JimmyJamez

Well, This is completely ridiculous!! How does Microsoft expect photographers and graphic designers to use their computers when stupid crap happens like this!!

Absolutely unacceptable. Anyone up for a class action law suit against Microsoft?

Hate to say it but I really should have got a Mac. It's sad that I've finally came to that realization.

4. Guyzer

Guyzer

First Name:
    Guy
    Well Jimmy I hate to tell you this but I had the same issue when I bought my new computer with Vista on it. The way I ended up solving my problem was to dump Vista and install XP. If they ever sort it out I might go back to Vista but I hope it doesn't happen soon. I hate that OS with a passion.

5. JimmyJamez

Update: I've now tried getting HP to help with the problem. Their solution: Scan for viruses. What a load of crap.

Guyzer: Thanks for the post. I hear ya about moving back to XP but from what I've heard, it will cause more problems with drivers and such. One thing i try to keep in mind is that people hated XP until they released SP 2. Let's hope MS gets on it and fixes this.

6. Guyzer

Guyzer

First Name:
    Guy
    The only real problem I had was getting a driver for the mobo. Once I was able to extract it from Acer I was good to go.

7. WButchar

WButchar

LOL! Not laughing at your problem, just at your comments about Vista. I use XP and - after several tweeks and SP2 - manage to live with it. I would never switch to Vista. Way too many problems and far too many complaints from people who use it. At best, it's very "pretty". The preverbial "Blond" of the pc world. LOL

8. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

And don't forget that its basically JUST the chipset drivers you need to work with XP, you can add everything else compatible to XP as a PCI card assuming its a desktop.

I think the hatin' on Vista is going to last until its hopeful early replacement. There might have been some hatin' on early XP too but it was so clearly superior to the previous version at its EOL (end of life) that switching made instant sense, for instance, rebooting once a week was so much better than 3 or 4 times a day. Vista is not going to get any love at all because of little and major nagging issues like these that should have been fixed by now or never arisen in the first place.

If I hear one more idiot say, well people didn't like XP at first too...problem is XP at its supposed EOL is waaay too darn good (some (many??) would say still better than Vista) and its much less restrictive for an experienced user who doesn't have the security issues that inexperienced clickaholics do.

If the MAC OS would have been competing head to head with Vista for the last nearly two years I bet the market share would be about 50-50 by now, or that XP would have been brought out of mothballs by now to slow the bleeding. I'd never join the Snooties running Macs but I sure would buy OSX if legally available and 26 different versions of Vista was the only other choice.

9. lawson_jl

lawson_jl

JimmyJamez I'm happy to bust your bubble. When people spout crap about "Windows Suxs" or whatever I'm happer to chime in and say what you got is either a corrupted isntall or a hadware issue. In either case not Microsofts fault. Same goes for you Guyzer. You likely bitched about the same things when XP came out and you had a hardon for Windows 98. In either case neither of you fixed the problem you just started over. If your comptuer is only 3 months old you need to contact HP and demained that it be replaced. The HP's rep first guess is right you likely have a virus infection (only spyware), if not a bad piece of hardware is the most likely issue.

10. Guyzer

Guyzer

First Name:
    Guy
    If you are so damned smart then show us where the fix is. You won't find one Einstein. What an idiot!

11. WButchar

WButchar

And the heated debate goes on. LOL

12. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Naw, twas but a tadpole which bit the hook.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753691

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice