1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Really need help please. Trying to load windows vista on xp machine

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by amalan2k, Apr 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. amalan2k

amalan2k Thread Starter

I have a dell dimension 8400 running windows xp, 80gb hard drive. I also have an emachine running windows vista, but the motherboard blew. therefore i took pretty much all of the components out of the emachine and put them in the dell. The thing is I slaved the 250gb seagate drive and i can access the folders, but i want to run the vista. When i turn the 80gb drive off in the bios and leave the 250gb drive on it tries to load. the computer says "try to do a repair load" or something along those lines or "start windows normally". if i choose start windows normally it just restarts. i tried to do the repair startup but it didnt work. says it couldnt fix the problem. i asked a friend of mine he says vista should load up. what should i do???? please help.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

You need to install Vista to the machine that it will run on. It won't run on a different machine.

If it is a retail copy of Vista, you need to install a fresh copy on the new machine.

3. amalan2k

amalan2k Thread Starter

So what should i do then. format the seagate drive and can i copy everything over from the 80gb drive to the 250gb drive so i can run xp and everything from off of that drive??? becasue i dont have an original copy of vista, i bought my emachine with vista already on it

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

You can't run programs from the Vista installation by copying them over to the XP partition. All programs (or almost all--some few will run if the folder in Program Files is copied and you create shortcuts, but none that are complex or involve services or drivers, or a lot of registry entries) will need to be reinstalled in the XP installation.

If Vista came with the eMachine, then you have a copy in the hidden partition on that hard drive. But it will not install or activate on any other machine. If it was not a retail copy, it is "married" to the original machine.

So, your only option is to buy a new version of Vista and install it, or to move what documents you can to the XP partition if you want them there. You can then format the Vista drive and use it as backup, or keep it as is for a while in case there is something you remember that you want later.

5. amalan2k

amalan2k Thread Starter

Right. what i am saying is that right now the seagate drive that contains vista is the slave drive. and i want to run xp and have everything on that drive as the master drive and use the 80 gb drive as backup. you know what i mean??? right now im the 80gb drive is the master drive and i want to use the other cause its newer, faster, and more space i guess. i understand i cant do the vista thing right now since i dont have it. ill do that later.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

A "slave" is a second drive that shares the same cable with the first drive. And they are all IDE drives. So you may have a "second" drive. There are no master/slave drives unless they are IDE drives sharing the same cable (or IDE-emulated drives).

If what you want to do is transfer your XP over to the other drive and use that instead, then first you need to copy everything that you want to keep from that Vista drive onto the XP drive that you have now.

Then, format the Vista drive and "clone" the XP drive to the previous Vista drive. Switch them around (or at least switch their connectors around) so that the now cloned drive is in the same posiition with the same connectors as the original XP drive, and boot it up. Then, you can use the smaller drive as storage.

Many here have used XXClone from Windows. But there are a lot of others.

Free Drive Cloners/Imagers:

Easeus Disk Copy
    O&O DiskImage Express
    Terabyte CopyWipe (Can securely remove a drive's contents, or it can copy an old drive to a new one)
    Runtime Shadow Copy
    Dr. Freeware boot CD (also has file recovery, Avast scanner, and partitioning tools)
    EASEUS Todo Backup (Partition and drive imaging)
    EASEUS Disk Copy (Partition and drive cloning)
    Farstone Driveclone Express
    Macrium Reflect
    Paragon Drive Backup Express
    G4U - Ghost For Unix (Platform-independent, floppy or CD)
    Clonezilla (Bare-metal restoration from image)
    Partimage
    Dubaron Diskimage
    SystemRescueCD
    EaseUs Disk Copy (Copies disks or partitions)
    XXClone
    CloneZilla GParted LiveCD (Complete partitioning and drive imaging/restoration tools)
    Drive Image XML
    Partition Saving
    PCI CloneMaxx
    HDClone
    DriveClonerXP
    Self-Image
    copyr.dma (Copies disk with bad sectors for recovery)
    DiscWizard (For Seagate or Maxtor drives - contains reduced version of Acronis)

Commercial Apps:

EMC (Dantz) Retrospect
    Casper
    NTI Backup Now (Image Edition)
    XXClone Pro (One of the fastest incremental backups)
    JustBoot Disk Backuper
    ASIS Backup (Bootable disk image)
    Paragon Drive Backup
    DT Utilities PC Backup Pro (formerly, Migo PC Backup)
    Easy Image
    [email protected] Disk Image
    O&O DiskImage
    Acronis True Image Home
    Farstone Drive Clone (Drive image, snapshots, file/folder backups.)
    EAZ-FIX Professional and Easy Image
    Drive Snapshot
    ShadowProtect (Also online backups.)
    Keriver Image
    Avanquest Copy Commander
    Paragon Drive Backup
    NovaBackup
    R-Drive Image
    Norton Ghost
    HDClone Pro or Enterprise
    Terabyte Image for Windows
    Terabyte Image for DOS (can directly access FAT, FAT32, and NTFS partitions)
    Spotmau Disk Clone & Backup

7. amalan2k

amalan2k Thread Starter

Thank you so much man. I appreciate. If I have anymore questions Ill be postin, but i think thats all i need for now. thanx again.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Good luck. Personally, I prefer to do the cloning when Windows is not running (from a boot CD) so that Windows doesn't get drive letters messed up. Then, after cloning, just switch the drives as before. But XXclone seems to work well for people. Just DO NOT boot Windows until you have switched the connections around or the drive letters will get messed up. Remember that you want the cloned drive to have the same drive letter as the original, and Windows is not going to allow 2 drives with the same designation, so make sure to switch the drives (or remove the original and put the new one in its place) before rebooting after cloning.

And don't use drive letters to identify drives if you use one of the bootable CD's. Drive letters can change and you may remove the wrong partition. Be sure to use size, position, or contents to identify drives and don't rely on letters.

Some cloners will allow you to clone to a partition that is larger than the original, and some won't. If you discover after cloning that your new partition is the same size as the old and you have a lot of unused space on the new drive, just boot up a partitioning CD and expand the partition to fill the empty space.

Parted Magic disk partitoning tool (Bootable CD image, free. Also has recovery tools and other useful options.) This is a useful tool to have, even if you don't need to expand your partition later. In fact, when it comes time to format the old drive for use a storage or something, it may well be that you won't be able to do it from Windows. If XP detects the page file or Windows installation on the old drive, it will designate it as a "system" drive and you won't be able to format it. But if you boot up Parted magic, you can format it easily from the partition editor that you will see on the desktop. Parted Magic even has Clonezilla on it so you could boot it up and do your cloning from there.

So long as you don't harm the original, you can start all over again if something goes wrong or doesn't come out the way you wanted.

We'll be here. :D

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    As an aside, Vista will run very poorly on a Dell Dimension 8400, a single core Pentium 4 with HyperThreading isn't a good CPU for Vista. I'd recommend you stay with XP and just use the hardware you pulled from the eMachine to improve the Dell.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917785

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice