1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

REALLY need help.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by JoeChain, May 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JoeChain

JoeChain Thread Starter

StumbleUpon gave me a very aggressive virus, and i had to re-install my OS (windows 7).

everything worked fine, and i shouldn't have lost data because i have a separate hard drive for system files and installs..

all my files i keep on two 1TB hard drives that have been merged or combined to read as one.

i apparently lost alot of files on it, HOWEVER... the 'space used' reads as it should (859GB).. but when i open the drive it only reads 243GB used.... i dont know if it is just an error or if this large amount of data i lost is actually still on one of the two hard drives.... i have a working knowledge of this stuff but im stumped on this

2. antech

antech Banned

Confusing question....
    Please clearly ask the question.
    BTW,
    whats your experience with computers?

3. JoeChain

JoeChain Thread Starter

ok sorry.

reinstalled windows 7 on a "C drive". i have a "D drive" which is two 1TB hard drives for files. the two har drives were set up to read as one drive.... after reinstalling... ALOT of files were missing from D, but alot remained.

under "Computer" the D drive's space is accurate to what i HAD on it... but when i open the drive the space taken is a fraction of that... and i cannot find the files that i supposedly lost... even though the space is still taken up.

i am wondering if somehow the hard drives are not being read properly after reinstalling...

my experience is with understanding how to use the computer (navigation and such).. but i am not so versed on hardware or more complicated things...

4. antech

antech Banned

How did tou merge two drives into a single partition?
    This might have been the problem.
    The sectors are now NOT being read properly

5. antech

antech Banned

How did tou merge two drives into a single partition?
    This might have been the problem.
    The sectors are now NOT being read properly

6. JoeChain

JoeChain Thread Starter

i found the two listed under DISK MANAGEMENT.

the D drive is shown as two different disks shown as "dynamic", but i cant go beyond that.

7. antech

antech Banned

Can you afford the data loss?
    Copy the remaining data onto a differnet hard disk and consider deleting the "Dynamic partition"

8. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

If you re-installed the OS you will no longer have permission to read some of the files and folders, as the Security ID no longer matches what is on the file's access control list (acl). Folders you don't have access to will appear empty, as you don't have access to read the size of the contents.

You should still be able to see the top level folders though. For any that give an Access Denied message, you just have to take ownership of the folder and it's contents.

How to Take Ownership of an object in Vista/Windows 7

Hopefully that's all it is, and not something the malware did.

Keep in mind when using striped or spanned volumes, if one drive in the set fails, you will lose the data that is on all of the drives.

9. antech

antech Banned

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920367

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice