1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Really screwed up! MyDrive HisDrive HerDrive Dogsdrive?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by cuttlefish, Oct 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cuttlefish

cuttlefish Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ian
    Yep, what a mess I have created!

I found my Onedrive didn't seem to be syncing with my main PC folders so thought "Ahah, I'll delete everything off Onedrive and start from scratch! As you do .....!

No problem, chucked 'em all in the bin, then soonafter got a message that popped up saying "Hey, you have just deleted a million files from Onedrive..... like to restore them?"

Big mistake 'cos I ticked YES! Should have said No Thanks!

Anyhow, shortly thereafter, I was browsing through my photos under My Docs x Pictures on my main PC that I have with the various years therein i.e. 1972 - 1973 - 1974 to 2018 etc.

Seemed to be a "few more" than I thought, so opened up one folder and aaaaggggghhhh! Every single photo had been duplicated e.g. with "copy" made of every pic!

After finding there was no UNDO button I waded through 197,000,000 photos thereabouts and manually deleted each copy therein ..... only took about 6 hours as I also found all and every file in my various MyDocs had also been duplicated! Oh joy oh joy!

Fortunately Onedrive played ball and faithfully copied every change I made so at day's end everything on my PC and on Onedrive are synced as one ............ I think, hope, pray!

I was also fortunate in having an external HDD that contained yet another backup of everything so things are kind of back where they should be........... maybe!

B-b-but, when I look against the various Photo Year Folders - about 45 of the brutes - I see some have a little red cross against them whilst others have the Sharing symbol! And some are just normal, boring old folder icons!

Everything seems to work OK, I can bring up every file or pic that I want to so what are all these funny icons for? I also notice against the actual photos proper (inside each folder) that some have a green tick against them whilst others have the two blue opposing little (refresh) looking arrow things beside them!

What, where, when, how and why have I fouled this up so badly and more the point, how do I untangle the dreadful mess I have created?

But it gets worse! When I click on my litle OneDrive icon on the Taskbar, it happily tells me it is unloading some 62 gbs, to where I have no idea but it also says, and I quote: "Can't upload files - a file problem is blocking all uploads!"

So, should I get get a new PC, kill OneDrive completely or pray for divine intervention?

Apologies for the lengthy saga above!

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    I have not and will not use any cloud storage.
    I make my own backups and do not need to access any of my data when not on my computer.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!