1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Realtek 8185 wireless card trouble.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ashim05, Dec 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ashim05

Ashim05 Thread Starter

I have a Realtek 8185 Wireless card that i took out from an old laptop of mine, to put it in my toshiba laptop. I've put it in but no wireless networks show up when that card is inside. Under Device manager, it says the device is working properly. It says the best drivers are already installed. If i insert my Intel Pro Wireless card into the toshiba laptop the wireless networks appear, what am i doing wrong or is the Realtek wireless card not compatible with thte toshiba since it came out of a gateway?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    it may be a compatibility issue - how is the aerial connected on the two cards - ?

3. Ashim05

Ashim05 Thread Starter

Im not exactly sure what you mean by " how is the aerial connected " the card fits in perfectly in the slot to the motherboard. Can you explain what you mean?

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    the wireless adapter usually has an aerial connection - 2 or three wireless that connect the aerial which goes around the edge of the screen

5. Ashim05

Ashim05 Thread Starter

Ah yes it has 2 connectors on both cards, one white one black.

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    lets see an xirrus screen shot
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector
    Download and install

If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC
    Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and install the program.
    You will now need to take a screen shot and copy that back to the working PC and attach the screen shot in a reply on the forum here.

http://www.xirrus.com/Products/Wi-Fi-Inspector.aspx
    Direct link to the program is here http://info.xirrus.com/Wi-FiInspectorConfirmation.html

{If the above link does not work heres another link http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_download/fid,77196-order,4/download.html}

Then run and install the program - on a wireless enabled PC/Laptop
    if you get an error - You need will need to have NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.
    On windows 8 - (i do not have windows 8) but, it would appear that, When you first try to run, you may get a message that .net framework is needed, and included in that message is a link to download/install.

Run the program

A user guide is available here http://www.xirrus.com/cdn/pdf/Xirrus-Wi-Fi-inspectorguide-1-2-1-RevB-6.aspx

post a screen shot of the program running.
    if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information.

post which SSID name is yours, its located in the list, under network "Adapter Name" (1st column)

To post a screen shot of the active window.
    1) hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application (Start> All Programs> Accessories> Paint) and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
    OR
    2) if you are using Vista/Windows 7 you can use the "snipping tool" which is found in Start> All programs> Accessories> Snipping Tool

To upload the screen shot to the forum, open the full reply window ("Go Advanced" button) and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
    Full details are available here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Posting_a_Screenshot

Note:
    For a reliable (or robust as the Xirrus user guide says) wireless connection you need a signal of about -70 dBm or better. "A desirable signal level for a robust Wi-Fi connection will be green".
    note: the signal level is a negative number, so for example -88 is worst and -40 is better

If you are using the Mac OS then use http://www.istumbler.net/

if you want to optimise base station position and signal strength / dead spots use
    http://www.chimoosoft.com/products/apgrapher/ which has a graph function to monitor signal

7. Ashim05

Ashim05 Thread Starter

heres the picture

Attached Files:

• wifi.jpg
      wifi.jpg
      File size:
      120.3 KB
      Views:
  8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    lots of networks showing on xirrus

perhaps its the wireless manager in windows thats the issue

what windows version are you running

9. Ashim05

Ashim05 Thread Starter

Windows Vista 2gb of ram

10. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    have a look at services
    is wlan running
    Status of Services

We would like to see some status information for each of the services listed below.

To do this goto

Start> Run {search bar in Vista/W7}> type CMD to open a command prompt box (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):

Type the following command
    SERVICES.MSC

OR
    Control Panel>
    Administrative Tools>
    Services>

then for each of the services listed below - Please post back the following status information;
    If the service is set to Started or Stopped
    and
    If the service is set to Automatic or Manual

• WLAN AutoConfig (Windows 7 & Vista wireless configurations only)

11. Ashim05

Ashim05 Thread Starter

Its started and its set to automatic

12. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    it may be conflicting with another wireless manager - as you can see wireless networks - but you say when you goto connect to a wireless network - none are seen

do you know what the application is running

whats the make and model of the pc

13. Ashim05

Ashim05 Thread Starter

Toshiba Satellite M65-S281
    And i connect to by the default windows application.

14. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    so it can see the wireless networks and connect

15. Ashim05

Ashim05 Thread Starter

When i use the Intel Pro Wireless card the networks show up and i can connect to the internet successfully, but when im using the Realtek, i cant connect to the internet, no networks show up at all.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082882

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice