Realtek 8821CE Wireless LAN/Max Speed?

pmc3944

I think I might have found my answer, but I could use some input just in case. I have a gig connection coming in, however my speeds have been drastically fluctuating, sometimes around 50mbps and have recently went back up to the 150-200 range. Comcast has done there thing, and say there is no line or router problems. I have a Realtek 8821CE Wireless LAN for my laptop WIFI connection. My wifi properties are showing a connection of 433.3. Is this meaning that the WIFI card has a MAX speed of handling 433.3 and there is no chance of getting closer to my gig speed? Even if this is the case, it doesnt explain why I am only getting 200 at best. FYI, when I hard wire in to the router, my speeds go anywhere from 50-300. My Galaxy S9 phone is clocking speeds at damn near 400 though......ANy ideas?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
If your Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11ac wireless device is showing a connection speed of 433.3 Mbps, that's not bad.

What upload/download speed plan do you have with Comcast?

------------------------------------------------

pmc3944

Thanks for the prompt response! I pay for Gig, right now I am getting:
DL: 122.3
UL: 21.9
Latency: 45ms

I have purchased a AC1900 Netgear Nighthawk adapter if thats what I need to get the full potentional, but if there is something I can tweak with what I already have, I would rather do that

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
If Comcast tech support can't help you get stable wireless and ethernet speeds, you need some other expert help.
Be patient and wait until one of the networking experts here jumps in.
Good luck.

This appears to be the internet speed plans that Comcast has.

Capture.JPG

------------------------------------------------

pmc3944

Thanks Frank. Yes, that chart is correct. My package is the the Gigabit / $84.99. I went ahead and installed the Nighthawk and my speed showing in Network Properties is now 1.3Gbps, and my xfinity speed test shows 133.3Mbps, so still not much of a change even with the new adapter.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
It's my guess you need to change one or more settings for your wireless adapter.
With the speed plan you have and the modem/router you have, it should have a higher speed.
Try using a different speed test site.
https://www.speedtest.net/

-------------------------------------------------

pmc3944

Yeah, I tried multiple speed tests ans even download a programs cause sometime browsers are the problem. Hopefully someone can help me with changing settings

Your router is an AC1900 type:
https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/R7000.aspx

The page says it it capable of 1300 Mbps, typical manufacturer trick to trick users into thinking they will get that amount of speed!

802.11ac-class device wireless speeds are often advertised as AC followed by a number, that number being the highest link rates in Mbit/s of all the simultaneously-usable radios in the device added up
Below table shows the limits of your router:
According to table on wikipedia your router is capable of these speeds:
600 Mbit/s on 2.4 Ghz
1,300 Mbit/s on 5 Ghz

How ever this does not mean single device will get that speed!

802.11ac-class device wireless speeds are often advertised as AC followed by a number, that number being the highest link rates in Mbit/s of all the simultaneously-usable radios in the device added up. For example, an AC1900 access point might have 600 Mbit/s capability on its 2.4 GHz radio and 1300 Mbit/s capability on its 5 GHz radio. No single client device could connect and achieve 1900 Mbit/s of throughput, but separate devices each connecting to the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz radios could achieve combined throughput approaching 1900 Mbit/s. Different possible stream configurations can add up to the same AC number.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11ac#Data_rates_and_speed

Your adapter supports AC:
https://www.realtek.com/en/products/communications-network-ics/item/rtl8821ce

To get maximum configure both your router and adapter to communicate over AC on 5Ghz band.

pmc3944

Thanks! Actually thats not what I have, my gateway is a Technicolor CGM4140COM. My on board wifi is a Realtek 8821CE. I have purchased a AC1900 Netgear Nighthawk adapter , just in case I need to update my wifi adapter to get the desired speed. I am connected 5Ghz as well, but I am not getting anywhere close to the speed im paying for, so thats why I need help to see if there are additional settings I need to change.

gateway.PNG

status.PNG
properties.PNG

Right click on Windows button and select "Windows PowerShell (Admin)"
type or copy/paste bellow code into console and press enter:
netsh wlan show networks mode=bssid

identify your wireless network and tell on what bands does router operate
1. 802.11x (x is place holder here, if there are multiple entries, name them all)

Can you log in to router and confirm it operates explicitly on 5Ghz AND explicitly on AC band?
Let me know if you need help to log into router.

pmc3944

Thanks so much for the time and assistance!! I am logged into the router. Not sure if the screen cap below gives you the info you need, if not please let me know

Network type : Infrastructure
Authentication : WPA2-Personal
Encryption : CCMP
BSSID 1 : 3c:b7:4b:80:37:16
Signal : 100%
Radio type : 802.11ac
Channel : 44
Basic rates (Mbps) : 6
Other rates (Mbps) : 9 12 18 24 36 48 54

Capture1.PNG

This info is helpful and it shows it's not adjusted strictly likely resulting in lower link speeds.

Note that if there are other devices in your house that are not AC capable these modifications may disconnect them for network, adjust these setting temporarily just to see if there is difference:

1. Mode: 802.11AC (if strict option available, could also be 802.11 ac/n)
2. Channel Bandwidth: 20/40/80/160

Save settings, reboot router

Next step:
1. Open device manager
2. locate your WI-FI adapter
3. right click it, select properties
4. look under "advanced" tab (or "Driver" tab)
5.take a look at what bands does adapter operate (set to AC explicitly - OR - n/ac explicitly)
6. what other options are there, take screenshots of all options.

pmc3944

This info is helpful and it shows it's not adjusted strictly likely resulting in lower link speeds.

Note that if there are other devices in your house that are not AC capable these modifications may disconnect them for network, adjust these setting temporarily just to see if there is difference:

1. Mode: 802.11AC (if strict option available, could also be 802.11 ac/n)
2. Channel Bandwidth: 20/40/80/160

Save settings, reboot router

Next step:
1. Open device manager
2. locate your WI-FI adapter
3. right click it, select properties
4. look under "advanced" tab (or "Driver" tab)
5.take a look at what bands does adapter operate (set to AC explicitly - OR - n/ac explicitly)
6. what other options are there, take screenshots of all options.

Thanks! I cant seem to edit these settings. It notes that the settings are being managed automatically and the option to change to manual is greyed out

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online