1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

RealTek AC'97 Audio: This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by aylah, Apr 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aylah

aylah Thread Starter

Hey hello everyone, I am new member here. I already checked couple threads with this same title, but I didn't really find any solution.

Here's a thing. Yesterday I went to clean my computer for dust, so I opened case and unplugged all wires. Now everything is backup except there is no sound. In device manager I got that yellow/black '!' next to Realtek AC3'97 Audio. I reinstalled drivers couple times already, but nothing. I mean, I was just cleaning dust...

So I came up with that idea that it might be the problem with the front panel pins, which I probably connected in wrong ways. I don't even know in which way those pins should be facing when connecting. So the motherboard is Asus A8N5X (from 2005, yea old), computer runs on Windows XP SP3. I tried many combinations with those pins, but nothing. I get that yellow/black '!' next to device or I get nothing at all (it won't show the device at all).

I tried reading the manual, but the wire names are different on the actual wires than shown in the manual:
    [​IMG]
    And the names on wires are:

GND (black wire)
    GND (black wire)
    Mic Bias (yellow)
    Mic In (green)
    Spkout L (red)
    Spkout L (red)
    Spkout R (white)
    Spkout R (white)

As you can see names duplicates. So I tried various combinations, but nothing. Once looked like I fixed it, after loading Windows up, there was sound icon in the tray, but PC suddenly restarted and next time there was no audio again.

Like I said I unplugged all wires before cleaning the dust and after that I also had many other issues, like for some reason onboard Lan Controller was re-enabled in the BIOS, so I had to disable it, Daemon Tools virtual drives needed to be reinstalled too. Also date was reset to 2005 together with time (but I didn't touch the battery). So I have no idea why all that happened.

So if anyone knows what to do please help!

Cheers

2. aylah

aylah Thread Starter

Okay, I just tried one more combination and it looked like everything worked, there was no warnings, the device was running fine, sound options available on tray and etc.

But then I tried to play a mp3 and system restarted immediately and now there is Realtek AC3'97 Audio device in the Device Manager at all.

I can't understand what the hell is going on.

3. aylah

aylah Thread Starter

Solved. Bought cheap 10$ sound card. This place is dead anyway...

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I was guessing you didn't reconnect everything properly.

Actually, we're quite busy here with helping people. ;)

-----------------------------------------------------------

5. TheITMonkey

TheITMonkey

Patience is key, and I solved a similar issue with an onboard soundcard by resetting the BIOS. Not that it matters anymore lol.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!