Realtek Ac97 Audio "this Device Cannot Start. (code 10)"

8K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  popekay 
#1 ·
HP Pavillion zx5000
Intel Pentium 4
3.20 GHz
1 GB RAM
Windows XP Home Edition SP3

My friend's laptop is having trouble recognizing its sound driver (Realtek AC97). The hard drive was replaced and the operating system reinstalled a couple months ago, and ever since then it hasn't been able to play sound. Under the Device Manager, Realtek AC'97 Audio has a yellow exclamation point next to it, and under its Device Status it reads "This device cannot start. (Code 10)".

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the device, as well as downloading the most recent driver (the most recent seems to be 4.04), but to no avail. I'm not sure what else I can do at this point.

On other boards that I've looked at people have asked what motherboard was being used. I used Everest to find the following information under "Motherboard":

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4, 3200 MHz (16 x 200)
Motherboard Name Hewlett-Packard Pavilion zx5000 (DZ313U#ABA)
Motherboard Chipset ATI Radeon 9100 IGP
System Memory 1024 MB (PC2700 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type Phoenix (02/16/04)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
OK you probably thought of this first thing but don't laugh when I ask: after the clean install, did your friend run the motherboard disk for his machine? Because the AC97 drivers are on that cd. He should disable it in "devices' and install the driver from the mobo cd and then enable it again and reboot. Should have sound. Only other thing is it could be disabled in the bios - you could check that too.
Mini

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.