1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Realtek ac'97 HD onboard and midi playback

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by alwrmc, Nov 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alwrmc

alwrmc Thread Starter

First Name:
    B.L.
    I do not often check this (it's been months and months) but when I right click on my speaker icon and select Volume Mixer I no longer have all the items that used to be there. I have the latest drivers installed (V. 1.81) and have also tried the updates from the HP website. I used to have several choices...line in, microphone, main, midi, etc. Now I only have "device" and "applications". There is a website that I frequent and it has lessons in midi format that you can click on and they play. I can no longer play those links. Where did my choices go and how do I get them back. Midi files that can be downloaded or "save this file as" play thru Windows Media Player 11 without problem. Thank you.
    (I do NOT want to install a sound card, the onboard sound is quite adequate)

2. t bone

t bone

hi
    try double clicking the speaker in system tray to open mixer then... options>properties...for "playback" put a check in the ones you want to appear and click ok

3. alwrmc

alwrmc Thread Starter

First Name:
    B.L.
    I wish I could do that, but as I said in my original post, I do not have that option any longer.
    Screenshot attached.

Attached Files:

4. t bone

t bone

oh, i didn't notice it before but your using vista...could access to those settings be located somewhere else. i'm still with xp so i don't know about where it would be if at all.
    are there any options if you rt. click on that "vol. mixer screen" ?

not being able to use those midi related sites wouldn't seem to really be related to that,
    for my own curiosity post a link to the site you can no longer use.

5. alwrmc

alwrmc Thread Starter

First Name:
    B.L.
    Here is the link and a quick walk-through.....
    www.activebass.com
    Select "Lessons" from the brown bar near the top of the page
    Select a "Style" from the listings (I prefer Blues, so select that one please)
    Select a lesson from the many that are listed (try the first one at the top "Cool Blues Run")
    Click on the "Play" button, the midi should quickly load with a "tab" diagram and the midi sound should play.
    These used to work for me in XP and also in Vista. I don't know where it got lost/messed up. I visit the website daily but it has been probably 4-6 months since I used any of the lessons. I started taking bass guitar lessons about 3 months ago and only a few days ago tried to look up a lesson tab on the web site. Now I do not get the sound. I'm sure this is because the microphone/midi/line in etc have been lost from my onboard sound and volume mixer.
    JFI: I have an older Audigy Gamer sound card that I had in my previous computer. I tried it and Vista sees it and attempts to install drivers. It fails during the driver installation because the software says there is no device installed (wierd!). When I use the drivers from the Creative website, it responds the same except it also locks up on the "Install this software anyway" screen. When I check in Control Panel there is no listing under Sound but there is a listing for a "multimedia device" under another heading (I don't remember for sure but I think it said "Other devices"). That listing has the yellow triangle with the exclamation point inside. I tried the Audigy card installation about 5 times this past Sunday with no luck. So I removed it and reset the onboard sound.

6. t bone

t bone

oh yeah, i've been to that site but the one for guitar.

this is pretty weird....
    what browser do u use? if firefox try ie.

try going as far back as you can with a system restore (if it says it can not restore to the point you select just try another day or point til you find one that's successful. then check the lesson site to see if it works.

go back to a time you knew it was working, you can always come back to the present if need be.

7. alwrmc

alwrmc Thread Starter

First Name:
    B.L.
    I use IE
    Going back via a restore point is not a very good option. I have no idea if the problem is two weeks old or 6 months old. Since I have no idea, there are too many other things that may be affected. I may do a reformat/reinstall of Vista in a month or so (maybe/maybe not). I can do without the click-a-link for midi. This should be a simple process. I should be able to uninstall the onboard, reboot and update the drivers. So far that is not working.
    Thanks for your time and input. I'll keep looking and trying.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!