1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Realtek Audio not working on ASUS X555LA

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by BobalooH, Apr 10, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. BobalooH

BobalooH Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-5020U CPU @ 2.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 61 Stepping 4
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3998 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 371 GB (285 GB Free); D: 558 GB (557 GB Free);
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., X555LAB
    Antivirus: PC Matic Super Shield, Enabled and Updated

I'm new to this forum so I hope I'm not repeating a problem that's already been addressed. My sound stopped working suddenly following a Windows update in late 2018. Since then (literally for months) I've been scouring the internet looking for remedies. I've uninstalled and re-installed Realtek / drivers multiple times. I spent hours on a call with Microsoft (who blamed it on ASUS) and hours with ASUS (who simply couldn't help me). The sound icon on my screen varies from a red "x" to a white soundwave from one boot to the next, without any change to my software. With the red "x" it indicates No Audio Output Device is Installed. With the soundwave, it indicates the Speaker Setup is unidentified.
    This (or very similar) problems are posted all over the internet. Some seem to have been resolved by reloading drivers, but others remain an issue.
    I'm really at my wits' end in trying to resolve this.
    Is there a sound card in this machine that I could try replacing? or is the sound built into the motherboard?
    Any ideas at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance...…….

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    The specs are noted here: https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/X555LA/specifications/

It lists that it uses "Asus Soundwave" audio, which I would assume is branded software running over the Realtek chipset/drivers.

No, the audio chipset can't be replaced as it is part of the motherboard.

What is the Realtek chipset status in Device Manager?

As for the drivers, you should be using the driver package from the manufacturer. All of the drivers can be found here: https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/X555LA/HelpDesk_Download/

( Direct link: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...10.361813915.1554981989-1904265798.1554981989 )

3. BobalooH

BobalooH Thread Starter

Well, I'm now in "red x" mode again, so Realtek only shows in Device Mgr if I show hidden devices. I've attached (hopefully!) a screen print of Sound in Device Mgr. Also - I think Soundwave was one of my most recent attempts to get the right stuff reinstalled. Should I remove Soundwave?

Attached Files:

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    I would expect Soundwave to be part of the driver package supplied by Asus.

If there are any entries for Realtek or Asus Soundwave in the program list, uninstall them all. Reboot, and then try installing the file noted above from Asus.

5. BobalooH

BobalooH Thread Starter

OK - I uninstalled all of the Realtek and Asus sound files, rebooted, installed from the link you provided, and rebooted again. Now, the sound icon has waves again, indicates speakers are at 67%, but still shows speaker setup is "unknown". If I go to Sound via Device Mgr, Realtek shows and indicates it is functioning normally. Everything looks right, but there's still no sound. I have a feeling the "unknown speaker setup" msg is a clue, but how can I resolve that if it seems to know about Realtek and indicates everything is working correctly? Aargh!

6. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Open Control Panel, click on Sound.
    Post a screenshot of the playback tab.
    example: sound.jpg

7. BobalooH

BobalooH Thread Starter

Here's the tab in Control Panel

Attached Files:

8. BobalooH

BobalooH Thread Starter

OK - and just to make things worse...…...without me making any changes at all, I just rebooted and now the volume icon is back to a red "x"...……...it seems to change from one boot to the next. What is going on?

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

To find out if this is a hardware problem ie sound chip failed OR a windows/driver problem, just boot the system with a linux live usb. If your sound works while running the live usb, you know the sound chip on the mb is fine. If the sound does not work while running linux live, then you know the sound chip has failed and no amount of drivers, rebooting or anything else is going to fix the problem.

Use linux mint for this task.

10. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Click on the Speakers and the buttons at the bottom will no longer be grayed out.
    Select properties. There are 5 tabs.
    The following 5 thumbnails show what I have for my 5 tabs. See if yours match.
    1General.jpg
    2Custom.jpg
    3Levels.jpg
    4Enhancements.jpg
    5Advanced.jpg

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1225656

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice