1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Realtek driver issues on brand new laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bugpower, Feb 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bugpower

bugpower Thread Starter

Hello, I recently purchased a brand new ASUS Strix GL504GS laptop and within 2 days of purchasing it, I've begun to have bothersome issues with the Realtek driver where the sound stops working if I go a few minutes without playing any audio. There are no error messages nor any indication that the driver has failed as it still shows wavebars in the sound settings indicating that audio is still playing, just not through the speakers. Disabling and enabling the Realtek driver immediately fixes the problem temporarily, only for it to break a few minutes later again if no sound is being played for a short period of time.

I've already ruled out a problem with the speakers themselves because resetting the driver fixes it immediately, and I am also having the same problem if I use an external pair of headphones. I've tried uninstalling and completely removing the driver in device manager and reinstalling it, as was suggested on some forums, which didn't solve anything. I also tried a system restore back a few days to when I started noticing issues, which appeared to temporarily fix the problem for an afternoon. However, upon starting the laptop this morning, I've found that the same issue is once again present.

I'm really starting to run out of things to try, short of a complete factory reset, which I really don't want to have to deal with doing unless absolutely necessary, especially because I have doubts that it will fix the problem I'm having considering that this laptop is less than a week old.

Any suggestions?

2. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Since it is new and not working as advertised, return it for a replacement or refund.

3. bugpower

bugpower Thread Starter

Definitely an option, but I want to try and see if it's something easily fixable before I go that route

4. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

:confused: You are not required to "fix" anything brand new. If the company that sold it to you refuses to resolve the problem, take them to court.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1222744

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice