Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

RealTek High Definition Audio problems

5K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  WallyWest 
#1 ·
I hope this is the right subforum for this!

I've just recently gotten a new computer, and installed Windows 7 64 bit on it.

I'm using an ASUS P6X58D-E motherboard, with RealTek High Definition Audio Codec.

My problem is that my computer seems to only be recognising devices plugged into one audio jack. Basically, when I started the computer up, the speakers (which were already plugged in to the green port, as normal) worked fine, and indeed they still work fine now.
However, if I plug headphones or a microphone in to any of the other ports, it says 'you have plugged a device into the audio jack', but nothing actually happens - headphones are silent, my microphone doesn't receive any sound. The front two jacks don't even make that message pop up - nothing happens at all.

If I unplug my speakers and plug my headphones in to that jack, they seem to work - but obviously that's less than ideal. So it's as if this one jack works and none of the others do.
(My microphone doesn't work when plugged into that jack of course)

I've tried reinstalling the drivers from CD, updating the drivers through windows, updating the drivers from the RealTek website, reinstalling windows, etc. No change at all.

Any ideas?

See less See more
#2 ·
Each port has it's own use. Check the motherboard User Manual for specifics.

With that said, the "green" port is the standard audio out port. This is where you would connect your speakers or headphones to hear the audio. It is a standard stereo output or in multi-channel mode, the front left/right.

Did the front panel ports ever work? They need to be connected to the proper outputs on the motherboard.

If they have worked in the past and/or they are properly connected, then you most likely have a driver issue. Several of the Realtek chipsets do not work well with Win7, especially 64bit.

#3 ·
Like Oddba11 said, each port has it's own use. As for the problem with headphones not being detected when plugged into the front speaker ports, the problem is most likely your front panel ports are configured for AC97 audio. AC97 and HD audio each has a different location for the "sense" pin. Since your motherboard has HD audio, it cannot detect the headphone being plugged in.

You could either buy an HD audio front panel or you could try manually enabling headphone output via the front panel every time you want to use headphones:

1. Open Realtek Audio Manager. Under "Advanced Device Settings", enable "Make front and rear output devices playback 2 different audio streams simultaneously"
2. Click the "HD Audio 2nd output" tab.
3. To switch from speaker to headphone, click on "Set default device".
4. To switch to the rear speakers, select the "Speakers" tab and click on "Set default device".

You may have to set something in your BIOS if the "HD Audio 2nd output" tab does not appear. For my motherboard I just enable HD audio in my BIOS.

This might also give you some ideas and there's a screenshot of the Realtek Audio Manager settings:
http://www.techyv.com/questions/headphone-not-detected-new-computer#comments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.