1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Realtek Icon Disappears from System Tray

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Geoffrey 13, Nov 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Geoffrey 13

Geoffrey 13 Thread Starter

Hello! I am trying to help a friend resolve a problem with her computer. She has:

Acer Aspire 4530 Laptop
    Windows XP SP3
    AMD Athlon X2 Dual-Core QL-62
    2.00 GHz, 2.75 FB RAM
    Realtek High Definitin Audio
    Driver version 5.10.0.6013, 12/25/2009
    298 GB Hard Drive, 275 GB Free

Most times when the system boots up, the Realtek icon is missing from the system tray and the volume is around 75% (loud!). When I tried restarting instead of turning off the computer and then powering up again the icon sometimes showed up, but the volume is always the same. If I lower the volume and reboot, it always goes back to the loud setting.

To get the icon back, I do the following:

Control Panel
    double click "Realtek HD Sound Effect Manager"
    Click "i" (Information)
    Turn off "Show icon in system tray"
    OK
    Click "i" (Information)
    Turn on "Show icon in system tray"
    OK

I'd like to get the icon to consistently appear and the volume level to be saved.

Anybody got ideas? THanks and God bless!

Geoffrey

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Restarting is the same thing as powering off then on. The machine restarts when you "restart".

Read this about the disappearing tray icons. Resetting the streams may work, too.

But if you can locate an executable in startup that creates the tray icon and delay its startup with Startup Delayer, that will probably work the best.

3. Geoffrey 13

Geoffrey 13 Thread Starter

Thank you, Elvandil! I disabled the UPnP User Interface as described in the article at techzonez.com and the icon (and a couple of others) appears after each boot.

The problem that still occurs is that if I lower the volume setting, it jumps back to the initial (loud) value (around 75%) at shutdown and is at that high setting after each boot. I can hear it's loud at shutdown because the Windows logon sound is at a high volume.

Any thoughts on that situation?

Thanks and God bless!

Geoffrey

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027795