Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller Issue

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

nlyubashenko

I have recently tried to replace my pc's wifi connection with an ethernet cable. When doing so my Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller was not recognizing that the ethernet cable was connected, I then uninstalled the driver to attempt to reinstall it. When running the Realtek Ethernet Controller Driver setup from my motherboard's (Gigabyte) website It shows the following error message,
"The Realtek Network Controller was not found. If Deep Sleep Mode is enabled Please Plug the Cable."
Some of the things I attempted was:
1. Turning off my computer, unplugging the power cable and pressing the power button to drain the charge. I then waited overnight and replugged it in.
2. Downloading the drivers from the Realtek website, same error message.
3. Testing the ethernet cable with another computer to make sure it worked.
Specifications:
Motherboard - Gigabyte b450m ds3h
Operating System - Windows 10

The driver is still showing the error message, and the Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller is still not showing in Device Manager. Could I have some assistance with this problem?

Couriant

James
Hello and welcome!

Please can you run the TSG System Information Tool so we can get some more information on your computer.

In device manager, do you see the device under Network or Other Devices?

nlyubashenko

Thank you for your quick response, this is what the tool outputted:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 18363, Installed 20190621122344.000000-360
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 6-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 23 Model 113 Stepping 0, CPU Count: 12
Total Physical RAM: 16 GB
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
Hard Drives: C: 465 GB (13 GB Free); D: 1862 GB (708 GB Free);
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. B450M DS3H-CF, ver x.x, s/n Default string
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ALASKA - 1072009, s/n Default string
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

In device manager I do not see the device but I do see my other devices, before I un-installed it the Realtek pcie gbe family controller was there. Attached is a screenshot of the network adapters.

Attachments

TerryNet

Terry
Sometimes the ethernet is turned off when the wireless is being used, but I don't know if this would cause an issue with installing the driver. But, to make sure it isn't something this simple, disable the wireless connection (or remove the adapter if it is USB connected) and then Restart the system and try the install again.

I assume that the ethernet controller is listed (with a flag) under "Other devices."

nlyubashenko

Hello, unfortunately I am not using wireless and there are not wireless devices active in network connections. Also, the ethernet controller isn't listed under other devices. There actually isn't an other devices tab in device manager.
I will attempt a reinstall and share the results.

TerryNet

Terry
I am not using wireless
What? Your attachment in post # 3 shows a USB wireless adapter.

If the ethernet is not showing at all it may have died or perhaps is loose. How old is the computer? Did the ethernet ever work?

nlyubashenko

Yes for that attachment I showed hidden devices too, the wifi adapter is not plugged into the computer and the driver appears disabled. The computer is relatively new, motherboard is around 4 months old. I have never used the ethernet.

Couriant

James
Under Other Devices, do you see one listed as Ethernet Controller?

Check the BIOS to make sure that Ethernet has not been disabled (some Gigabyte board do not have this option.

When connecting the cable, does it show any link lights?

TerryNet

Terry
Thanks for that. I've moved the thread from Networking to Hardware.

I think that the ethernet is defective or loose (or disabled in the BIOS or UEFI as James suggested as I was typing), but I'm far from a hardware expert.

nlyubashenko

Yes I think that was my mistake, I read that it should be in bios> peripherals and then you just enable it. But I completely uninstalled the controller so it will not show up. No lights when connecting cable.

Couriant

James
The lights should show regardless of the driver. If it's enabled in the BIOS, then more than likely the problem may be a physical one, and maybe coincidental when you removed the drivers. Since the board is less than a year old, you should be able to get support and a replacement for a new one.

Falling short, you can use an USB-Ethernet adapter that costs about $20 if you don't want to waste time (plus those are good to have as a backup)

crjdriver

I would tend to agree; the onboard lan is probably defective. Win10 has a native driver for the realtek lan SO as long as it is enabled in the bios, windows will load a driver for the device.

As a simple test to see IF the onboard lan has failed, boot the system with a linux live usb. If the lan port works under linux, then the hardware is OK. If you cannot connect while running the live usb, you know the onboard lan has failed.

nlyubashenko

Ok, i've tried linux live usb and it didn't work. I will be trying to replace the board, thank you all for your help.

Couriant

James
Sounds good, and good luck! If this is resolved, please click on the Marked Solved button up top.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts