1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Realtek sound issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Godmyeyesarebad!, Dec 6, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. Godmyeyesarebad!

Godmyeyesarebad! Thread Starter

First Name:
    Stuart
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8600K CPU @ 3.60GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 6
    RAM: 16329 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, -1 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 465 GB (389 GB Free); E: 465 GB (443 GB Free); L: 1863 GB (326 GB Free); M: 1863 GB (388 GB Free); N: 1863 GB (1790 GB Free); O: 3726 GB (778 GB Free); Q: 5588 GB (3217 GB Free); R: 3726 GB (1049 GB Free); S: 465 GB (316 GB Free); U: 3725 GB (1078 GB Free); V: 5588 GB (2059 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., Z370 AORUS Gaming 5-CF
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

I have just updated the Realtek driver and the attached message came up and now I've got no sound.

Any ideas please??

Attached Files:

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The motherboard in your computer appears to have an integrated Realtek ALC1220 High Definition Audio sound device.

The most current Windows 10 64-bit driver listed for it at the Microsoft Update Catalog site is 6.0.1.8578

How exactly did you update the driver?

---------------------------------------------------------------

3. Godmyeyesarebad!

First Name:
    Stuart
    Hello,
    Thank you for your very quick response. I received a notification through the Gigabyte App Centre that updates were available. The reference given was 6.0.1.8437. Since installing that, I've had no sound. Now I'm even more confused.........

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Go into the Device Manager.
    Expand the Sound Video and Game Controllers heading.
    Double-click the Realtek High Definition Audio entry to open its properties window.
    Click the Driver tab.
    Click the Roll Back Driver button to revert the driver back to its previous version.

Did that resolve the sound issue?

5. Godmyeyesarebad!

First Name:
    Stuart
    Hello
    I've followed your instructions and yes, I now have sound, but not through Realtek. This has gone from the Device Manager and instead it is as the attached file. So how can I get Realtek back on the PC and where do I get the drivers from - Gigabyte Auros App Centre or Realtek or someone else?
    Also the Sound Blaster Connect 2 that came with the Gigabyte Auros MB comes up with the message ' Your audio device cannot be detected. Please check your connection' - see second file.
    Thank you once again for your input.

Attached Files:

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm glad to hear you resolved the sound issue. (y)

According to your log in post #1 and your image in post #5, your computer has a NVIDIA graphic card which has integrated NVIDIA audio.

Are your speakers plugged into the motherboard's audio port or into the graphic card's audio port?

--------------------------------------------------------------

7. Godmyeyesarebad!

First Name:
    Stuart
    The monitor is plugged into the NVIDIA graphics card and the speakers are plugged into the optical connection on the MB. The NVIDIA does not have a separate optical or speaker connection. I have to use the MB for sound connection.

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Thanks for clarifying your speakers are plugged into the motherboard's integrated Realtek audio port.

It just finished researching the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti graphic cards.
    I assumed they have an integrated audio port(like my NVIDIA graphic cards have), but it appears they do not.

At least your sound is working, and that's the main thing.

9. Godmyeyesarebad!

First Name:
    Stuart
    OK so I've got the sound back but it's nowhere near the quality it was before. I've got to somehow get the Realtek back up and running again. How do I go about doing that please?

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Capture.JPG

According to the blue highlighted entry in the Device Manager, your computer appears to be using the Windows 10 generic sound driver instead of the Realtek sound driver.
    If it was using the Realtek sound driver, that highlighted entry would be named Realtek High Definition Audio

Double-click that highlighted entry to open its properties window, then click the Driver tab.
    What's the exact driver version listed there?

11. Godmyeyesarebad!

First Name:
    Stuart
    Another screenshot for you. 1) Is it possible and 2) how do I get Realtek back please.

Attached Files:

12. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Capture.JPG

My guess is correct.
    Your computer is using the generic audio driver for Windows 10 Version 1803 OS Build 17134.319
    It is not using the Realtek audio driver.

Go back into the properties window, then click the Details tab.
    Click Hardware Ids in the drop-down list.
    Submit an image of that window so I can what the vendor and device codes are.

------------------------------------------------------------

Capture2.JPG

Just for your information, your computer appears to be a few updates behind.
    The most current version of Windows 10 Version 1803 is 17134.441

------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  13. Godmyeyesarebad!

First Name:
    Stuart
    Thank you again for your help. I enclose 3 screenshots for you to investigate further and one screenshot I missed from Post #5 . Do you think it is possible to get Realtek back and working properly.
    Screenshot 1 confirms the OS Build Number
    Screenshot 2 confirms that Windows Update is up to date
    Screenshot 3 is some information you asked for
    SoundBlaster is the screenshot missed from Post #5

Attached Files:

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, because your motherboard supports sound blaster audio, the ONLY place you should ever download a sound driver is from the support page for that motherboard. Do not attempt to use any other realtek driver, modded drivers, etc.
    The very first thing I would try would be a system restore to a date prior to your attempt to update the driver. If you have already attempted this, I did not see it in the thread.

If that does not work for you, you can try the following;
    1 Download the sound and creative drivers from the gigabyte page
    2 Download the latest nvidia video driver from the nvidia site
    3 Uninstall ALL realtek drivers, any suite, anything else pertaining to the audio. Uninstall your video driver and be sure to uninstall ALL parts ie sound driver, nvidia experience, etc. Go ahead and reboot when prompted
    4 Install the nvidia driver and select custom install. Install the video driver ONLY; not the sound, nvidia experience, etc. If you use physX, install that, select clean install. It is a box where you put a checkmark. Reboot when prompted
    5 Now install first the realtek driver you downloaded in step# Do not reboot yet; just tell it later. Once the realtek driver is installed, install the creative driver. Now reboot and you should have the creative sound working. Note you may have to enable or turn it on

15. Godmyeyesarebad!

First Name:
    Stuart
    Hello, thank you for your input.
    Let me start by saying I'm not the brightest with regard to PCs so please bear with me.
    Firstly, for some reason system restore is not set up - don't know why but it isn't ..... We bought the PC 'ready to go' and haven't needed to use SR until now!
    So regarding downloading the sound and creative drivers from the gigabyte page, I want to make sure I'm getting the correct ones. The App Centre says one version which is only 14MB (which is the one I downloaded that gave me the problems) and the Gigabyte site says two other versions (8454 or 8210) so a bit of guidance here is needed please. Also I'm not sure about Sound Blaster Connect 2 drivers (which came already installed with the mobo). The details on the Gigabyte website only says Creative BlasterX Pro Gaming 720 - there's no mention of the SB Connect 2. I'm sending two more screenshots. One is from the gigabyte website with details, the other is the Aorus APP Centre info from the PC.

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1220158

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice