1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Rebates in the form of debit cards

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by Bernardo, Apr 14, 2010.

Advertisement
  1. Bernardo

Bernardo Thread Starter

Ok, what's the world of rebates coming to? The last 4 rebates I've sent were in form of a debit card instead of a check in the mail.

I tried to use it once, and apparently, you can't use it as partial payment, use the card up, then pay the balance in cash. It simply declines you for "insufficient funds" :rolleyes:

I don't want to use it for gas (saw that suggestion elsewhere) as that's a business expense, and this is MY CASH :D

So, I'm here to rant and rave, and get some ideas, thoughts and opinions :D

Be civilized as I just came from un :D

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

that has to cost more than a check, stupid imho.

I wonder if you could take it to your bank and have them deposit it into your account...

3. Bernardo

Bernardo Thread Starter

No, you can't, and you can't take them to an ATM machine and get cash.

They plan on you not keeping track of your balance, thus, not using it all, and they win in the end.

4. Crazy_Hobo

Crazy_Hobo

I tend to try and avoid rebates as best I can.

5. Bernardo

Bernardo Thread Starter

Well, here is what I've discovered. The cashier needs to be cooperative.

You have them ring up as close to your rebate card as possible, to the point where it goes a little over. Pay the little over in cash, that will bring the balance to the debit card amount, then swipe the card to complete the payment.

If you are lower, say for example, leaving 80 cents, etc. pretty much you'll lose that, and that is what they are hoping for....unless of course, you can find something for that low amount and play the same thing :D

6. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    I've had no problem using it to pay part of my tab, then use my real debit card for the balance. I've used at least 3 or 4 of those things. It cannot be used as a debit card, though. It needs to be used as a credit card. If you have a problem, it's more likely the nimrod running the register doesn't understand the concept!

7. Bernardo

Bernardo Thread Starter

Could be. But, as I said, I tried to use a $20 card on a $25 purchase (I did choose credit as the paperwork states that) --- and the card said declined. I ended up paying the $5 in case, and when the balance was $20, it worked.

As you said, could be the dimwit at the register. I've got the game all figured out now :D Used up all 4 of my cards. I have two new items I purchased with rebate cards to mail in now :eek: :D

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916927

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice