1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by WWEFreak666, Aug 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WWEFreak666

WWEFreak666 Thread Starter

I cannot seem to figure out what's wrong with this computer.

The hard drive is a 500GB SATA. The hard drive is clearly plugged in (both cables plugged in)... Since it's a SATA, doesn't need a pin.

I took this hard drive from a working desktop and put it in a customized desktop... The thing is, it's a partly customized desktop, just a different DVD drive, hard drive, and graphics card. The motherboard and everything else is the same as was in this computer.

Anyways, the hard drive is empty and was working as a slave, simply to put things on it. Now, I'm trying to put it in a different desktop and it's simply not working. Both the DVD and HDD are recognized as the Primary SATA master and slave. This seems correct to me.

Whenever the computer goes past the manufacturer's boot screen, a black screen with "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

Any idea what's wrong?

Thanks.

2. thedancingman432

thedancingman432

The hard drive might not have the OS installed on it, or the hard drive is not formatted correctly.

3. WWEFreak666

There's no OS installed on the hard drive. Shouldn't I just have to put the Windows disk in the DVD drive and then boot up from the disc and install Windows on it? Doesn't Windows format the HDD by itself? I mean, the HDD is being recognized by the computer, just for whatever reason it's not picking up any media.

I've tried booting up from Windows disc and it just goes to the message "Reboot and Select proper Boot Device..." etc

4. thedancingman432

thedancingman432

Go to your BIOS and select "boot from CD/DVD", then that should format the HD while it is installing.

5. WWEFreak666

Tried that. I tried booting from the disc in every way. Does not work.

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I would try unplugging and plugging back in all the drive(s) connectors to make sure you didn't accidentally knock one loose.

7. WWEFreak666

Tried that as well. Everything is plugged in, securely as well. I even switched the cables. I don't know if it matters, but the SATA cables, some go up and some go down, if you know what I mean... should I try making it so two that go down are connected to one device and the two that go down are connected to the other device? The cables are like this http://www.overclock.net/attachment...ng-special-angled-sata-cable-my-img_04997.jpg and the other little cable is just like that, but smaller.

8. thedancingman432

thedancingman432

Dustyjay makes a good argument, if the computer can't boot off a disk there a few things that could be a problem:
    1. not connected to mobo or power
    2.bad DVD drive
    3.bad disk
    4. bad connector on mobo.

Whats the reason?

9. WWEFreak666

I can rule out all of them except the bad disk. I will try a different Windows disk and see if that works. Shouldn't be any bad connections and the DVD drive is working fine and the HDD is being recognized and therefore should be properly connected. I'll let you guys know.

Edit: come to think of it, even if the disk was bad (unless it's so bad that it's not bootable at all), there's no place at all on the screen that comes and tells me to press a key to boot from the disk, although the message regarding media does tell me to press a key once media is in place... Anyways, i'll try a different one.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1011649

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice