1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NAT1992, Apr 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NAT1992

NAT1992 Thread Starter

I built my first rig a few years ago and haven't had too many major issues with it until a few days ago.

Here are the specs:

-Asus P9X79 LE ATX LGA2011 Motherboard
    Intel Coreā„¢ i7-3930K
    -SAMSUNG 840 Series MZ-7TD120BW 2.5" 120GB SATA III Solid State Drive
    -Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
    -Windows 7 Professional SP1

Windows was installed and running off of the Samsung SSD

Here's the issue:

I drove it from Florida to New York last August and had no problems upon setting it up. It's pretty much been fine all this time. Last week I moved it to my new place. It worked fine for a few days. I used it the night before the issue occurred, it was perfect, nothing out of the ordinary. The next morning I woke up and turned it on, but only to be greeted with "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key."

I've tried other fixes that have been posted on various other sites. I disconnected all drives but the SSD windows is installed on and tried to boot. Dusted off the insides. Switched SATA ports. Made sure the boot order in BIOS was correct so my SSD was first. Still, I get the same problem. I haven't checked the drives to see if they've failed, which I know is the obvious first step, but I don't have a Windows disk so I can't really do that. Also they both show up in BIOS so I'm assuming they're alright.

I made a system repair disc with my laptop but unfortunately it's not compatible with my version of Windows that's on the desktop
    I've tried to use a boot disc program that retrieves the product key so I could make a proper Windows 7 disc from Microsoft's ISO but had no luck retrieving it. I just received an error message screen that I've attached to the thread. It suggests that I press enter and boot to Windows, obviously nothing happens.

I'm sort of at a loss. I don't know what happened overnight to screw up a perfectly fine computer!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Parts do wear out and that mb is now 4yrs old. The very first thing I would do prior to attempting any install would be to boot the system with a linux live usb/dvd. Run the gnome disk utility to see the health of your ssd. Next run some programs [included] that will see if your hardware is working ok ie surf the web, open a few spreadsheets, etc.
    You can copy whatever data you want from the ssd to a flash drive, external drive, second hd, etc. This way you do not lose anything when you do an install. There are a number of linux distros to choose from however linux mint comes with the disk utility AND it is pretty easy to use.

I am wondering. You post you do not have a windows disk; how exactly did windows get installed if you do not have the disk?

3. NAT1992

NAT1992 Thread Starter

Ok I'll go ahead and make a Linux live disc. I installed Windows when I built it but no longer have the Windows disc. It was accidentally put into storage when I moved and I don't have access at the moment as that's in Florida.

Anyway, I'll give Linux mint a try. Thanks! Will report back with some results.

4. NAT1992

NAT1992 Thread Starter

Hey, so that worked! Thanks! I should've gone with a Linux boot disc from the jump. I don't know why I insisted on finding windows.

Anyway, both of my drives are "OK" according to the disk utility. I ran firefox and a bunch of other applications, everything is fine. So now I really don't know what's wrong. Everything seems ok aside from the fact that I can't boot to Windows. I'm going to make backups of everything but I'd rather not have to reinstall my OS. Thanks for the help, at least we're getting somewhere now and I know that my drives aren't failing.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Well at least you are getting somewhere. To extract your install key from the hd, you can do the following;
    1 Boot the system with a linux live disk just like you did before.
    2 Copy this folder to the usb or to another usb; C:\Windows\System32\config
    3 Take the usb with that folder to a working computer and use produkey to recover the key. Note it will first search the working computer SO you need to point it at your usb that you copied the folder to. Here is a link to download produkey;
    http://downloads.tomsguide.com/ProduKey,0301-26388.html

6. NAT1992

NAT1992 Thread Starter

Hey, so i copied the folder and moved it over to my laptop but produkey and keyfinder both cannot locate any sort of key from the USB. Not sure why.

7. NAT1992

NAT1992 Thread Starter

Spoke too soon, I had to recreate the folder tree and turn system admin on. I got the key and am downloading the Win7 ISO. Hopefully I'll have some good news or at least a better idea of whats going on come morning when I burn the disk and test it out! I can't thank you enough for gettin me on the right path.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You are welcome. Post back with your results when you finish. I am off to work in the morning so I will not see this for a few days. Good luck.

9. NAT1992

NAT1992 Thread Starter

Well, I booted to the windows disc and went into system repair. It showed my install of windows, I ran it, it said there was nothing wrong with my installation. It couldn't find any problems.

I tried to do a system restore to the last restore point, which was made the night before the issue began. The problem is, when I tried to do that, I was greeted with "an unspecified error occurred during system restore (0x8000ffff)"

So, nothing is wrong with my Windows installation, nothing is wrong with the drives. Not sure what to do at this point.

I noticed that the System Restore point made was made before a "Critical Update" so I'm guessing the reason all this is happening is because there was some sort of windows update when I shutdown my computer the night before the problem started.

I'll keep working at it.

10. NAT1992

NAT1992 Thread Starter

So, I don't know if this means anything but I went into diskpart to set my drive as "active" and it's set to GPT. Which means that I can't.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1170001

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice