1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Y1101284, Jan 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Y1101284

Y1101284 Thread Starter

Hi,

I recently removed my old hard drive and inserted a new hard drive into my PC turned it on and I received the message Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media. I went into the BIOS and the hard drive was showing up. I switched the boot order and still nothing. The PC is 6 years old. I took out the BIOS battery and that did not work. Could it be a faulty motherboard?

When I switched back to the old hard drive there was no problem. However, I took the PC apart and put everything back together and now both hard drives are showing the message.

I have another PC so I am able to carry on using the internet etc, however, when I took out the hard drive from this PC, again it was not booting from the new hard drive I brought even though it was showing up in the BIOS. This PC is 3 years old. This time the error message was No IDE device when I booted the PC. Also when I boot this PC I have to press f1 each time.

It seems really easy to swap hard drives around, however, many forums are showing people with the same problem. Would it worth me buying another motherboard.

Kind regards
    Sam

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2016
  2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    I would remove your email address, otherwise you will probably get lots of unwanted 'spam' messages. Also the forum rules say all help should be given here in your thread.

Is there an Operating System like Windows on the new hard drive ? If not it won't boot up and those error messages are normal, except for when you put the old drive back in, that should still boot up so I suspect you forgot to connect something when you put the PC back together.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I removed your email address. Posting your email on an open forum is asking for spam.
    Unless you cloned your old drive to the new drive OR clean installed windows, it is not going to boot. Did you just remove the drive from it's box and install it OR did you clone your old drive?

4. Y1101284

Y1101284 Thread Starter

I do not have a windows installation CD. The operating system i.e. windows is not on the new hard drive.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, then the msg you receive would be expected. If you do not have a windows install disk, how do you intend on installing windows?
    What version of windows did you have AND do you have the install key?

6. Y1101284

Y1101284 Thread Starter

The PC came with windows built in. I do not have the install key. If I built a PC from scratch i.e brought all the components separately then would this still be an issue as this is what I am planning to do? I only brought the new hard drive as a stop gap while I get all the parts together as my PC hard drive was failing.

Thanks for your help. Also thanks for removing my email address.
    [​IMG]

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you check your documentation that came with the pc, you might find the install key. In addition, the install key is often on a sticker attached to the pc. Look underneath and on the back. It would help if you posted ALL of your exact system specs. Since this is a big box system, post the exact brand and model#

One other item. If you intend on building a system, you could not use the windows install that came with a dell, hp, or whatever. That is an OEM lic and as such, it is only valid with the original hardware.

8. Y1101284

Y1101284 Thread Starter

compaq 2925EA Desltop PC. Intel Pentium, 2.5 GHz, 8GB RAM, 1TB Hard Drive. There is no product key on the PC or with the documentation.

Kind regards
    Sam

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Well if you do not have the install disk nor the key, you have three choices;
    1 Contact HP and see if they still have restore disks for that model. I highly doubt you will find them since that is a very old system.
    2 Purchase a new windows disk. Most likely that came with xp and that is now obsolete so I would not really put money into purchasing an obsolete product.
    3 Last choice. Install linux on the system. There are a number of linux distros that are made for old computers, netbooks, etc.

10. Y1101284

Y1101284 Thread Starter

OK. So if I install linux on the system can you talk me through tell me the step by step process of getting the pc to boot with the new hard drive. Also if I build a new PC and purchase a new windows OS then what is the step by step process of installing and booting from the new hard drive.

Thank you for your help
    Sam

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

12. Y1101284

Y1101284 Thread Starter

Assuming that I have built a PC from scratch and everything has been installed correctly or that I have a Linux OS for the current PC and have installed the new hard drive, do I then boot the computer with the Windows or Linux OS CD in the CD-ROM drive

Thanks
    Sam

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It depends on what os you want to install. If you want linux, then boot with the linux dvd/usb. If you want windows, then boot with the windows dvd/usb.
    If you have never installed an operating system, it would be a VERY good idea to have a knowledgeable friend to watch you while doing the install.

14. Y1101284

Y1101284 Thread Starter

So I change the boot sequence so that CD-ROM or USB is first, save and exit, reboot PC, insert CD or USB and run the OS.

Thanks
    Sam

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If there is nothing on the hard drive, you probably will not need to change anything in the bios. Try first before changing any settings.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1164205

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice