1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reboot and select proper Boot device

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ellegon18, Dec 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ellegon18

ellegon18 Thread Starter

Hello everyone. I have an Asus laptop model P50IJ running windows 7. When I got it, it kept booting up to a screen that says "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press any key". At the time, i was able to restart, boot into safe mode, and use the computer. I did a system restore and the same problem continued afterwards.
    I then found a windows 7 disc and tried running a repair. It went thru all the steps then said that this windows disc is incompatible and use the proper version of windows. For whatever reason, the computer seemed fine afterwards. I was able to run malwarebytes, antivirus, ccleaner. everything came up clean. I changed the msconfig and disabled apple only and then the laptop booted up in under a minute. Before doing this, it was taking over 5 minutes to boot up. I used the laptop several times over the next 2 days and no problems. I even went and made a windows 7 64 bit boot repair disc thru windows just in case the problem returned.
    I took it back to my friend, hooked everything back up and turned it on, and its back to the "reboot and select proper boot device" message. Popped in the windows boot repair disc and went thru the motions, This time when it asked to select which windows I wanted, there was nothing there. It said to select drivers to load and i tried from the disc but had no clue which ones to use. Rebooted again and pushed f9 and got it to go to the recovery partition. Went ahead and did the full recovery, it took over 2 hours. When it was finished, it said it needed to restart. Did it and right back to "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press any key". Put the windows 7 64 bit boot repair disc back in, it searched for windows installations again. it came up saying "windows found problems with your computers startup options. Do you want to apply repairs and restart your computer"? then there is the details button. I clicked it and it says
    System recovery options.
    Repair details:
    The following startup option will be repaired:
    Name: {boot mgr}
    Identifier: {9DEA862C-5CDD-4E70-ACC1-F32B344D4795}

The following startup options will be added:
    Name: Windows 7 Home Premium (recovered)
    Path: Windows
    Windows device: Partition=C: (152625 MB)

A copy of the current boot configuration data will be saved as: C:\Boot\BCD.Backup.0001

Close that window and click "repair and restart" and box comes up saying "Failed to save startup options". Click OK and back to system recovery options. Again, no version of windows shows up. I can click load drivers or next. This is where it says if my operating system isnt listed click load drivers and then install drivers for your hard disks.
    Since I cant do anything at this point, I cancel and it takes me to several options. The first is the startup repair, I try that and it comes up with "startup repair cant repair this computer automatically". I show problem details and there are "Problem Signatures going up to 7". Problem 7 says "NoOsInstalled".

Ive been researching this for days and I have no clue where to go from here. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help given.

2. dai

dai

3. ellegon18

ellegon18 Thread Starter

OK, the boot order is currently cd drive, hdd. i alos changed them to hdd first then cd drive, but still same issue, changed back to cd drive then hdd so i can boot from disks. Downloaded the hitachi drive fitness test. the first choice is "1. For Adaptec". It goes thru the steps of detecting the drive. Then it goes to a device list where there is no drive listed (empty). To get to this point, it goes thru a bunch of info that scrolls too fast to write it all down, but there was a point where it said installation failed, but it was too fast to read all the info. Tried to redetect and it sticks on "Detecting PCI IDE Controller 1 - Master" for a few seconds but then goes back to a Device List that is empty.
    Restarted program and tried option 2. for LSI 320 Controller. Same results with empty drive list.
    Option 3 for Tekram and Symbios controllers. Same results
    Option 4 for ATTO 320 Controller. Same results.
    This was all under the SCSI and ATA support.
    I then tried ATA support only and same results.
    There were several things that couldn't be found during the scan but they go too fast to try and write them all down.

I know I did a lot of extra steps, but i wanted to be thorough. This pretty much points to a hdd failure, right? Any other ideas?
    Thanks again for your help and fast response.

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Sounds like the disk to me.

5. ellegon18

ellegon18 Thread Starter

I kinda figured at this point. Now let me ask you this, I have no windows recovery disks. I do have the windows keys sticker still on the bottom of the computer. What would be the best way to go about putting windows 7 back on a new hdd? Also, is there anything I should know before buying a new hdd for this? Should any hdd work with this model or does it need to be a specific brand or anything like that?

6. dai

dai

brands don't matter

personally i prefer wd black

if it is a brand name computer check their site for the windows disk they may charge a small amoumt to send you one

7. DaveBurnett

Borrow a copy of the W7 DVD. Just make sure that it is the same type as the key you have. IE OEM, Retil tc

8. ellegon18

ellegon18 Thread Starter

So as long as it is a copy of win 7 personal, the activation code should work? I thought each copy of windows had a specific activation code and couldn't be transferred? Is there anything else i should check before buying a new one to verify it is the drive that is shot? I would hate to buy one, reload windows, then find out that the drive wasn't the problem.

9. ellegon18

ellegon18 Thread Starter

Can anyone tell me if this laptop supports sata III? The specs for the current hdd is sata 150. I am looking at a SAMSUNG 840 Series MZ-7TD250BW 2.5" 250GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) and wanted to know if this will work in this laptop?

10. DaveBurnett

They are usually backwards compatible - obviously at the lower speed.

11. ellegon18

ellegon18 Thread Starter

Please help. After spending $150 on a new hdd, that wasn't the problem. I installed new hdd and powered on the laptop to install windows and I get "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key". Can someone please help me with a new solution???

12. dai

dai

it is not seeing the windows disk

have you set the bios to boot from cd first and hard drive second

and can you see the hard drive listed in the bios ok

if all that is ok check the windows disk is bootable on another computer

what hard drive did you buy

13. XxShadowGhostxX

XxShadowGhostxX

I have had this problem before.I cant say that i can remember that far back but i do know there was nothing wrong with my hard drive.It had something to do with a setting in the bios where it was either trying to boot from some sata drive that wasnt there or some other type of drive.I know there were 2 settings to choose from.It was either boot from sata or something else.Im just not sure.I have also seen the same issue on other computers where it was trying to boot from the usb drive and it came up with the same error.They disabled the usb boot up and it worked.I cant really tell you what the solution is,i can only tell you what i have experienced.Hopefully someone here can help you

14. ellegon18

ellegon18 Thread Starter

I stand corrected. I installed the hdd and booted up the computer and that's when i received the boot message again. I thought a new hdd would have made that error message disappear. I went ahead and installed windows anyways, and now it appears to be running ok. I have restarted the computer 5 times in a row and have not seen the message again. Hopefully, it wont come back. I will start installing drivers tomorrow and restart many more times then, will see if the problem pops back up. Thanks for the fast response dai. Sorry about the false alarm.

15. dai

dai

glad you appear to be up and running ok now

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!