1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reboot and Select proper Boot device

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by PsykoDragon, Jun 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PsykoDragon

PsykoDragon Thread Starter

Heya folks,
    Allow me to describe my scenario to you.
    A few days ago I installed a new harddrive (WD Green 2TB, of which I already have 1 installed). Got into Windows 7 Disk Management & initialized the HD, but in my ignorance set it as Active.

The next time I tried to start up my computer I got a NTLDR is missing error, which I struggled with for a while trying to do startup repairs & bootrec operations (both failed due to the OS not showing up & Element does not exist errors). Eventually I just unplugged my 3 extra HD's, started up fine, & marked my System Reserved partition as Active in DskMngmnt. This was like, WOOHOO, I restarted my PC with the HD's installed & all was fine.

This is where the current issue begins:
    The next morning I woke up with my speakers playing a buzzing sound. The system locked up while playing music throughout the night, no signal to screen, keypresses did nothing. I reset my PC to get the following error:
    After a bit I realized I had to redo the process of removing all additional HD's, starting up, confirming the Active Partition, & restarting with my HD's installed. However, this has been happening over the past 3 nights & I'm wont to find a solution. Your assistance would be much appreciated.

System specs: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 32-bit
    If there's another relevant spec required let me know.

Thank you!

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

So you may now have 2 partitions marked as active.

3. PsykoDragon

I figured as much, but:
    • When a partition is marked as active, all other partitions that may be marked active are unmarked
    • I went through each partition individually to confirm that they are not marked as active, aside from the system volume

4. PsykoDragon

I thoght there was an edit post button somewhere.

Anyway, just a status update. Since the day I started this thread, the incident I described has thankfully not happened again.
    I could think of only 2 possible reasons:

1. That day, after removing my HDs & checking the active partition again, I shut down the computer &, unlike the previous times, left it off over the course of some 9 hours.
    2. My PC is afraid of TechGuys.
    In any case, I'n hoping nothing changes. I mean, I've been talking of switching over to a Linux distro to be done with these (semi-)random issues, but I don't think that's what got my PC mad.

Will post again if the incident repeats itself. Thanks again!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!