1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

'Reboot and select proper boot device'

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ariana5696, Jan 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ariana5696

Ariana5696 Thread Starter

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I have a Toshiba laptop and it keeps returning with the message 'Reboot and select proper Boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and pres a key.' I'm not very good with technology but I've had a look through various forums and tried pressing F12/F2 and nothing's working.

I have Windows 7 and it's a Toshiba Satellite L830-123 laptop.

Any help would be much appreciated!

2. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    Ariana, happy new year!

I got bad news probably though...

Did the system just do this all of a sudden?

Normally what this means is that the hard drive has failed and will need to be replaced.

Do you have a set of re overy disks??

As for the laptop, can you boot into the BIOS, probably using F2 or DEL immediately after powering on and locate the drives section and see if its being detected? If not likely its dead and needs replacing, so hopefully there's nothing on there that's life and death that isn't backed up to atleast one other source

3. Ariana5696

Ariana5696 Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply :) happy new year to you too!

It did happen suddenly :( F2 and DEL don't do anything either, it just shows the same screen.

Do you know the rough cost of replacing a hard drive? Fortunately there wasn't anything important but I'm just wondering if I should just by a new laptop.

Thanks!

4. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    Hi

Well it depends on a few things.

How tech savvy are you?

It's pretty simple to physically replace the hard drive but may be more challenging to reinstall the OS if you're not good with computers.

First off, do you have a RECOVRY DVD set or a windows install DVD?

Since you are replacing the internal drive with a blank one you WILL need one of these 2 in order to reload windows.

The average cost of a hard drive for a laptop is 40-60$ .

You should be able to get one locally at a BestBuy or a computer shop.

Post back here the available items so we can advise which one to purchase. A laptop HDD is a 5400 RPM HDD NOT A 7200 RPM which is for desktops normally.

SPECIFICALLY A LAPTOP HDD WILL BE 2.5" AND A DESKTOP WILL BE 3.5".
    MAKE NOTE OF THESE MEASUREMENTS WHEN SHOPPING TO MAKE SURE YOU GET THE RIGHT SIze.

5. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    Also try tapping F12 as soon as the laptop boots to see if you get a list of boot options on screen.

If you do

Post back here the options please

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The Toshiba Satellite L830-123 (PSK7YE-012004EN) laptop comes with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit and sells in the U.K. and in Europe.
    It comes with a built-in factory restore/system recovery partition, but the ability to use it will be lost if the hard drive fails and needs to be replaced.

It comes with a 640 GB 5400 RPM hard drive.
    It's not necessary to replace it with the exact same brand/model/capacity, but the connection type needs to be the same.
    The best way to insure you buy a correct hard drive is to take the entire laptop with the hard drive still in it to a computer store.

Replacing a hard drive in a laptop is usually a simple process, but installing the Windows operating system afterwards is what most people can't do.
    They don't have the reinstallation disc(s) and/or they don't have the computer knowledge to do it.
    If a computer shop has to replace the hard drive and reinstall the Windows operating system, it may cost more than what that laptop is worth.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
    metallica5456 likes this.
  7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1163365

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice