1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reboot and select proper boot device

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Damon922, Mar 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Damon922

Damon922 Thread Starter

Hi, I have a Gateway One zx6980 computer that was working just fine. Then today I turned it on and instead of starting up like normal...I get a black screen that states: "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected device and press a key".
    I have no idea what it is asking me to do. But the computer won't respond to anything I have tried. Please help..thanks

2. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

Your hard drive crashed.

Check your HDD cables to make sure it's firmly seated/connected.

Download a Linux Distro and create a live/bootable DVD or thumb drive. Then boot from from that and see if you can access the drive with windows on it. If so, the backup/save any data off of it you want. Then replace HDD with new HDD and reinstall windows.

3. bobs-here

bobs-here

First Name:
    Bob
    follow the vid and change the boot order in BIOS back to the hdd, so windows can be recognised by the machine. reboot and all should be ok.

4. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

bobs-here...the problem with that help is the HDD is not showing in the BIOS....hence the black screen with error message.

5. Damon922

Damon922 Thread Starter

Bob's...I can't get to the BIOS screen....any idea how much a new HDD drive will cost...is it something that is easily replaced?

6. bobs-here

bobs-here

First Name:
    Bob
    for your machine, instead of f8 to get to the bios, try tapping the DELETE key as the pc pre-boots up after restart.

as for a hdd replacement, the cost is relates to how much memory you need, as the cost rises with the amount of GB's
    info for new hdd's is easily googled and easily replaced, if needed. the options of installing the data onto a new hdd would need considering.

@bassfisher6522
    thanks for the heads up :)

7. Damon922

Damon922 Thread Starter

Thanks. So far for your help. I got to the BIOS screen...but am confused as to what to do next. I am posting a video as to what I can see on my video please give me some further input..well I could figure out how to attach the video..so here are some screens shots IMG_20160312_230022731_HDR.jpg

8. bobs-here

bobs-here

First Name:
    Bob
    1st boot device is your hdd, as it should be.

Turn the system off,
    wait a few seconds,
    turn the system back on, and press f8, (repeatedly)
    It will bring you to a "black screen" with several options, including "safe mode".
    Select "safe mode", (Not "safe mode with networking").
    Go into your "Control Panel", ("Start" -> "Control Panel") then select "add/Remove programs"
    Then uninstall any software you just installed.have any windows discs ready to use for repair if available. the safemode access allows any changes but also a way to run cds for repairs

if not there are live cds to check your hdd, such as the gateway repair guide and disc downloads. get one here. upto win8
    https://neosmart.net/wiki/gateway-recovery-disk/

also a linux boot disc iso. to be burnt to cd and used when rebooting the machine. see the download here
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/boot-repair-cd/

9. Damon922

Damon922 Thread Starter

Hitting the f8 key repeatedly didn't do anything...just returned me to the same "reboot and select proper boot device..."

10. bobs-here

bobs-here

First Name:
    Bob
    Select the "Windows Safe Mode with Command Prompt" option and press "Enter." On the next screen of prompts, select the operating system installed on the computer and continue to log on as usual.

11. bobs-here

bobs-here

First Name:
    Bob
    a hdd can be taken out and slaved to another but as advised earlier there are ways to access the hdd to recover crucial stuff, folders files etc. before attempting repairs. if the option of using a restore option is required see below.

Gateway Recovery Disc
    New computers and laptops often come bundled with discs that contain all the necessary software needed to restore the computer. Often, these discs contain software and drivers that are specific to the make and model of the computer.

How to Restore a Gateway Computer with a Recovery Disc
    1. Turn the computer on and wait for the Gateway logo to appear. When it does, simultaneously press and hold the "Alt" and "F10" keys.
    2. Wait for a screen that reads "Starting Gateway eRecovery." When it appears, select the "Restore system from CD/DVD" option.
    3. After selecting the recovery option, quickly insert the recovery disc.
    4. Proceed with the recovery wizard and follow any onscreen prompts, changing the disc if necessary.
    According to the Gateway website, at the end of the process, users will see a prompt asking about a system restore checkpoint. Although it is not necessary to create one, it is ideal. When the prompt appears, select the "yes" or "confirm" option and wait for the computer to create a restore point before continuing.

without a disc? they can be obtained on ebay...

12. Damon922

Damon922 Thread Starter

How do I "select the windows safe mode with the command prompt"

13. bobs-here

bobs-here

First Name:
    Bob
    Press and hold the "F8" key after you see the Gateway logo appear on your screen. When you see the Windows Advanced Options menu appear, release the "F8" key.

Step 3
    Press the down arrow key and scroll down to highlight "Safe Mode with Command Prompt." Press "Enter."

Step 4
    Select the operating system you are using from the selections that appear in the "Please select the operating system to start" window. Press "Enter."

Step 5
    Enter in your administrator username and password at the next screen. After you log in, you will be directed to the Command Prompt screen.

14. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

DA...in your BIOS can you post a screen shot of your connected devices....ie, HDD, CD/DVD. This will confirm if your HDD is even showing as I suspect it's not.

The screen shot you posted is the boot order of connected devices and not the devices themselves.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1167877

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice